CD Shell - mouse support

deadbug

I want to put together a slightly fancier front-end to my multiboot DVD.

As part of that I've used CD shell's "show image" to put up a picture and now I want to see a mouse move around on it. Not too much to ask I would have thought!

But although I can see a text cursor moving aound in "show console" mode (text mode), there seems to be no cursor at all in graphics mode.

Any one have any ideas? Any simple example cdshell.ini that I could try out?

FWIW: I'm testing this in VMWare.

Thanks

The mouse feature hasn't been implemented in the graphic mode. If you want a multiboot tool with mouse and graphic the only one i know is Easyboot.

EasyBoot is not free though :-(

At least with BCDW's ShowGIF command I can switch to 1024x768 mode and display graphics. A whole screen display is quite slow though (and has to be done in pieces of 1024x128 otherwise BCDW runs out of memory)!

For now I guess I'll try to put something graphical together using just the keyboard - at least I'll be able to see whether the display routines are fast enough to be usable.

Any ideas about how hard it is to put together a CD Shell module (I'm presuming that's the easiest way to add mouse support in graphical mode)?

Thanks

Well...to be quite honest and very blunt.......If you had the programming skills and knowledge to create a mouse module, you wouldn't be asking about it here. If you do want to make one, you better sit down and get nice and cozy w/ an ASM primer and then start to look at the Developer Manual.

reanimatolog is really they only person that has made a 3rd party plug in (showgif & bcdw) worth looking at.

Well...to be quite honest and very blunt.......If you had the programming skills and knowledge to create a mouse module, you wouldn't be asking about it here. If you do want to make one, you better sit down and get nice and cozy w/ an ASM primer and then start to look at the Developer Manual.

reanimatolog is really they only person that has made a 3rd party plug in (showgif & bcdw) worth looking at.

I'm asking here because I don't want to replicate someone else's work. I'd rather not find out later that I could have spent the time doing something else instead!

It looks to be a bit more than a few midnight's worth of work too, since when I use bcdw to write a 1024x768 backdrop it takes several seconds to complete. So it might even be necessary to implement some sort of graphics driver. Even if that is not necessary, it still looks like a graphical mouse handler and graphics writing routines would have to be glued together at the hip (otherwise drawing a new image over the current mouse position will obliterate the mouse and leave artifacts when it moves). So quite a bit of work (and a fair amount of replication of reanimatolog 's existing "bcdw ShowGIF" - unless the source is around and I've just missed it.

• 4 weeks later...