[Question] How to change from OEM/Retail/VLK to OEM/Retail/VLK

X-Ecutioner

Okay, I have a few different copies of windows XP - 1 OEM (came with my laptop), Retail (Bought), and VLK (School Testing License). In order to avoid duplicating all my efforts 3 times, I want to create one copy of my install (integrated updates - not unattended) and port it over to my 3 other copies.

I read (a long time ago) that there are only a few files that make up different versions of windows so they accept different keys - like OEM, VLK, and Retail. Can anyone tell me what those files are called so I can do this? I would search for this topic but I honestly have no idea where to begin to think about what to put in the search field.

I hope I am clear on this...if not, please let me know and I will try to clairify more

Thanks

well, I thought i'd save the mods the time here.

This would be illegal, illegal activities cannot be talked about in these forums, so please dont ask again.

LOL i find it funny that people in here say things like "That comment is illegal." 99.9% Of this forum is illegal in retrospect. I mean Gdogg, your MicroWINX is so "illegal" its not even funny. But all this is just MY OP....And DOGG knowing how you are, understand this IM NOT BASHING YOU BRO PLEASE DONT START A WAR LOL...Im just saying i dont think he is asking and "illegal" question...Or am i wrong?

EDIT: and just thought i would post this...Yes i see now the legal issue of it...But just too point one thing out thats illegal on this forum...Is the LegitCheckControl hack thats all over this forum...The file is for people with non "legal" versions of windows too be allowed too update...

Edited by abadaba

Woah Woah Woah....ok obviously I need to clairify.

I have 3 copies of XP. I always keep them integrated with the newest updates. But I have to do this 3 times each time an update comes out and I often miss a step and sometimes ruin the whole thing.

What I want to do is have a single installation folder. Do all my updates ONCE - not 3 times, and then copy that folder 3 times, copy the different files (that represent different distro's of xp) into those 3 folders, burn, and go. That's it. It couldn't be further from being illegal.

And I thank you for the support abadaba. It's funny how most of the time the people who jump up and shout "ILLEGAL" are the ones who perform these activities the most - aside from the odd person that swings by this site and asks for a location to download XP or Vista or something. lol

Edited by X-Ecutioner

answer theres one file that makes the difference. and to stop anyone getting offended or thinking you are carrying out illegal activities go here

i googled and found this

http://freepctech.com/pc/xp/xp00066.shtml

btw, i dont think its illegal to modify the cd type as all this does is tell the disk what kind of key to look for. it would be however to use the same key as unattended. if he is not using it as an unattended but as a normal windows cd then there should technically be no problems with it.

Basicall he has 3 cds of different types and wants to create new cd with the updates integrated. so he could do it 3 times once for each disk or he could find the file responsible for this and copy it to make his 3 cds again.

Edited by phkninja

Yes i have tried it and it worked fine for me. I accidently used my retail cd as a base when creating an unattended cd for building comps (i have retail cd fro my machine, oem for comps I build). So instead of rebuilding from scratch I modded the setup.ini, thus saving me a few hours.

sorry, I missunderstood.

I thought you were just asking for (what is normally asked for when people ask for OEM to retail, etc) is that they are look for the home to pro hack or retail to vlk.

anyway, continue, as if I didn't make a fool of mehself.

and about my project, I think the agreement covers all legal issues, just like nlite does.

Edited by gdogg