HELP!!!! sTART UP wITH dsl PPOE crap slowing me way down..

XPerties

To change the way users log on - you have to be logged in as an administrator. I am sure you already do this. Now go to Control Panel - User Accounts. Click on Advanced Tab and at the bottom of the windows you will find Secure Logon. Check the box to require users to press control alt delete to logon. This will now get you to the Windows 2000 style initial logon screen.

Unfortunately - it will also get rid of any of those cool XP Logon Skins you might have downloaded...... I am not sure - but it might also get rid of Fast User Switching. I can't really test that cause I am on Domains with my systems, so Fast USer Switching is not an option.

Good Luck!!!!

LS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi XPerties, Conan here from Peppy's Forum. If you're not part of a network you can try this fix. You need to put a dummy IP Address for Windows to boot up faster. Double-click TCP-IP in your LAN card properties. Enter the following IP Address: 10.255.255.10 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Then re-boot. Hope this solves your problem.

I don't think it will affect how you connect, I had the same problem too ever since Windows 2000. I only came about the fix when I switched to XP. When you log-on to your DSL you get a different set of IP Address assigned by your provider. Try it, you can always remove the address if it doesn't work anyways.

Guest LouCypher

Hey [b:f2605c9cbd]Conan[/b:f2605c9cbd]...Welcome, and by the way ...I love your board. Great info.

Now to me...lol....By putting this dummy IP address in this wont effect my connecting will it?

-XPerties [/quote:f2605c9cbd]

If it's not connected to your DSL modem it won't (not to worry if your DSL is internal). Just assigning the static IP to your non-networked LAN adaptor makes Windows not wait for a timeout from a DHCP server before assigning itself an IP address. If you're not networked to any other computers then there isn't a DHCP server, hence the 60 second or so timeout.