Only Log in users (domain) can access internet

when I browse through the ISA sites.... wwhy they seldom use the word "Proxy Server"?? but i see many "firewall server"... :}

what are the server/hardware requirement for ISA Server 2004? any model/brand to recommend? :}

There are dedicated hardware devices that run ISA 2004, but any Windows 2003 server-class box should be able to run ISA 2004 just fine. If you plan on using it as a caching or VPN server as well, you'll need to beef processor and memory as appropriate - I prefer a dual proc box w/4GB of RAM and SCSI disks, but lesser hardware for a small environment should be fine.

Note that if you plan on installing this in a large environment with multiple ISA servers, you'll need to acquire the enterprise edition.

when I browse through the ISA sites.... wwhy they seldom use the word "Proxy Server"?? but i see many "firewall server"... :}

The ISA server is the new product that evolved out of Proxy2 for Windows NT and when microsoft added firewall/vpn and more functions to it they renamed it to make it sound more like a security product than a load balancing service.

ISA will do exactly what you want, it will have the users log into the domain to be able to use the internet, just force all internet traffic through it. It will still cache pages too i believe (been a while since i fiddled with ISA so could be wrong here) and you can even set groups where one group can and the other cant access the internet.

Check the ISA site and in your canse this scenario would be the most interesting:

http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/2006/wap.mspx

Hope it helps,

The ISA server is the new product that evolved out of Proxy2 for Windows NT and when microsoft added firewall/vpn and more functions to it they renamed it to make it sound more like a security product than a load balancing service.

ISA will do exactly what you want, it will have the users log into the domain to be able to use the internet, just force all internet traffic through it. It will still cache pages too i believe (been a while since i fiddled with ISA so could be wrong here) and you can even set groups where one group can and the other cant access the internet.

Check the ISA site and in your canse this scenario would be the most interesting:

http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/2006/wap.mspx

Hope it helps,

thanks for your help.... we have the 2004 software now... but should we go for 2006 since we hav not installed 2004 ISA?

There are dedicated hardware devices that run ISA 2004, but any Windows 2003 server-class box should be able to run ISA 2004 just fine. If you plan on using it as a caching or VPN server as well, you'll need to beef processor and memory as appropriate - I prefer a dual proc box w/4GB of RAM and SCSI disks, but lesser hardware for a small environment should be fine.

Note that if you plan on installing this in a large environment with multiple ISA servers, you'll need to acquire the enterprise edition.

can i just get a HP "standard" server with 2G RAM and SCSI disks? Our environment will not be so big.... max. 90 workstations...

2006 is still a beta, so unless you have no qualms about beta software in your org, go for 2004.

And yes, that HP box would be appropriate.

ok thanks for yr replies. :)