[Questions] ...regarding Timeline

Hi all! I have some questions regarding the timeline subject:

» Text-mode Setup

1. Loads Drivers (Mainly Mass Storage Drivers)

Is it usefull to add some more drivers here?

2. Copies files required for Setup to the Hard Disk

Are the copied files the files that are created in $WIN_NT$.~LS (the installation files folder), when we follow Flyakite's multi-boot DVD guide along with tagged files from txtsetup.sif?

3. Copies the contents of your $OEM$ folders to the Hard Disk, only if OEMPreInstall=Yes.

4. Reboots PC...

» GUI-mode Setup

0. Using BTS's DriverPacks, Setup.exe is paused, all drivers are extracted to the HD and installed. Setup continues.

1. DetachedProgram executes from winnt.sif at T-39 stage

This is limited due to the installation time (mostly on slow computers). Can we install software in this stage? If not when can we start installing software?

2. Installs Devices

What is installed here exacly?

3. Installs Network

4. Installs Start Menu Items

5. Registers Components

6. svcpack.inf executes at T-13 minute stage

7. cmdlines.txt executes at T-12 minute stage

8. SetupParams executes from winnt.sif at T-9 minute stage

9. Saves Settings

10. Deletes temporary files then reboots...

» First Logon

1. Windows logs you in and loads personal settings

2. Both GUIRunOnce from winnt.sif and RunOnceEX executes at the same time

3. Desktop and Taskbar loads

I'm sorry if sometimes i don't explain myself very well, but i try to do my best :)

Edited by andregcasal

Hi (again)

» Text-mode Setup

1. massstorage drivers mainly, you can add massstorage drivers only (search on the forum, there's a thread)

3. yes

4. no

» GUI-mode Setup

0. you can repack all packs in one PackedDriverPacks.7z and then edit drivers.cmd. Is it useful ? I don't think so... You'll need to extract the drivers on the HDD if you don't want to put the CD in each time ; and you'll need to extract the drivers on the CD (or use .cabs) else windows won't even find them on the CD

++

Hi again Delprat!

0. you can repack all packs in one PackedDriverPacks.7z and then edit drivers.cmd. Is it useful ? I don't think so... You'll need to extract the drivers on the HDD if you don't want to put the CD in each time ; and you'll need to extract the drivers on the CD (or use .cabs) else windows won't even find them on the CD

Why isn't it usefull? This way i can get my drivers zipped with 7zip, thus saving some more space. And i can allways make a Whatever.CMD to cab the extracted drivers on my HD, thus saving space in my HD and still having all drivers in Cab form for Windows to read. What you think?

i explain a bit more my p.o.v. :

I don't think repacking the 7z DP in a single 7z will saves enough space to say "it's useful". (They're already less than 210 MB 7-zipped !)

Keeping the drivers in a "windows usable form" (that is : not 7z) is, of course, useful. But afaik BTS's DPs keeps them uncompressed (1090 MB), not cabbed (450 MB) and i bet that dropping a .cab on the HD is not enough for windows (look for the add new hardware wizard : it doesn't look for .inf inside .cab, thus .inf must be outside the .cab, which requires editing EACH .inf...)

Maybe i'm wrong on that : i don't use DP 'coz i have only CD-burner, not DVD

You changed first post again without notice ! But my answer remains "no" : boot files are in place, so there's no need to boot the CD.

Well, the point of repacking 7z DP into a single Drivers.7z is that they get extrated by Drivers.cmd, but i guess i could have all the diferent DriverPacks by changing Drivers.cmd code instead. It would be easyer to update/maintain.

When you say "BTS's DPs keeps them uncompressed (1090 MB)", your refering to the HD, rigth? Afaik, BTS's DPs executes with DetachedProgram feature @ T-39 stage, meaning that it runs at the same time Setup.exe does (i think), so drivers may not be fully extracted when Setup is installing devices. This problem is more obvious on slow computers, but it's still a concern even on modern PCs.

I'm sorry for changing the 1st post without notice. The questions remains pretty much the same, and so do the answers :) (I'm sorry if i'm beeing annoying :()

When you say "BTS's DPs keeps them uncompressed (1090 MB)", your refering to the HD, rigth? Afaik, BTS's DPs executes with DetachedProgram feature @ T-39 stage, meaning that it runs at the same time Setup.exe does (i think), so drivers may not be fully extracted when Setup is installing devices. This problem is more obvious on slow computers, but it's still a concern even on modern PCs.

look carefully : there are 3 methods of install.

There's one where drivers are unpacked via presetup.cmd, which ran before setup.exe

and another where drivers are unpacked via detachedprogram

(this is based on v5, i didn't tested v6)

Yes, your right, i've looked more carefully :)

I see that the 2nd method runs before GUI-mode setup starts.

Now all I need to know is how to splistream all BTS's DPs to several OS's from the same source. I've seen a tutorial like that somewhere but now i can't seem to find it...

Edited by andregcasal