change the words "service pack 1" to "sp2"

I agree with Scuba on this, whenever i work on a computer, first thing i do is: Start -> Run -> Winver

second thing i do run "systeminfo.exe" and do start -> run -> "Z:\systeminfo.exe > C:\info.txt" (subbing Z: for the thumbdrive of course)

This will solve ur problem..

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]"ProductName"="Microsoft Windows XP"

"CurrentVersion"="5.1"

"CurrentBuildNumber"="2600"

"BuildLab"="2600.xpsp.050301-1521"

"CSDVersion"="Service Pack 3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Windows]

"CSDVersion"=dword:00000300

"CSDReleaseType"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Windows]

"CSDVersion"=dword:00000300

"CSDReleaseType"=dword:00000000

Also u can modify ur sysdm.cpl as well

Note:

If u try to install the hotfix for sp1 will refuse to install after u make it SP2 or SP3,, It will say ,, ur os is newer or sth like that....

untitled3ru.th.jpg

Edited by Nepali

• 2 months later...
Sorry to say this but what your doing is one of the dumbest things ive ever seen. So because it says Service pack 2 on your screen then tech support will think its service pack 2 also. LMAO Theres like 50,000 other ways to find out what service pack version of XP your using. That little caption in the system properties box doesnt mean crap.

most ppl look up what version it is by opening a cmd prompt and typing "systeminfo"

Face it , Download Service pack 2 and stop being a muppet.

I agree, there are many different ways for them to find out what Service Pack your using. Simply changing the name won't do much. Also, SP2 just offers alot more than SP1 (Security enhancements, Pop-Up blocker etc.) I don't really see why you wouldn't want to install it.

I agree, there are many different ways for them to find out what Service Pack your using. Simply changing the name won't do much. Also, SP2 just offers alot more than SP1 (Security enhancements, Pop-Up blocker etc.) I don't really see why you wouldn't want to install it.

SP2 adds bloat. I put in one additional patch from SP2 and that's it for security. Best security is to not use IE and OE or Outlook, and use any alternative.

I know I'm in the minority. I know trying to explain this to people is usually fruitless, though I do slowly introduce the idea to those who will listen.

Thanks to your comments, I've changed as many places where SP1 might be mentioned. Hopefully this doesn't shift me too much to the dark side. *grin*

theres nothing wrong with service pack 2, i don't notice any speed differences. my laptop (366) originally had windows xp without a service pack,then i upgraded to SP1, then i got SP2 dell cd. no difference in speed, in fact, it was a little faster.

as long as you slipstream the SP into the install cd and reload your computer, the speed difference is very lower.

if you do an install of SP right onto an already installed copy of windows, its slow and really bogs a computer down. the reason i think, is because it puts a lot of useless things in, like temp files, reg keys stuff like that.

thats just my opinion on it.

@nepali, id like to get that sysdm.cpl file from you if you could :)

Edited by Cygnus

theres nothing wrong with service pack 2, i don't notice any speed differences. [snip]

I don't think you can notice things like this. You have to have a method of measuring. Size increases. More services are added. More dependencies between services are added, so that you can't disable as many services. Bah! Microsoft wants things to get slower, so you will buy another computer, and hence another copy of Windows. Given M$ behavior over the past 20 years, I can accept its intentions on Faith alone.

well, im running XP sp2 pro on my 366 laptop and heres how many services i have running on it:

th_services.png

you can disable a lot of services, considering the amount of services running on a fresh install are about 2 pages on 1024x768

ill admit, its not as many as 2000 pro (7 or 8 you can the system on), but its a lot better than the stock way of running it. if i didnt notice any difference in speed on a 366, then i doubt you'll notice a difference in speed on a system much faster (perhaps a 500 PIII or so?)

im just trying to give you some information on the topic. thats all.