Windows Update problems

grn

Having resolved my SATA drive problem and re-installed Windows98 SE, I'm now at the stage where I.m trying to get Windows updates installed but I'm having a problem with the update procedure. Since this is a fresh install it is IE5 that is installed and I'm not sure if this is the problem or not.

I get to the windows update page, it checks and (I think installed a new version of windows update) then when I get it to scan for updates, the progress indicator never goes over 0% and then I get a page saying that there was a problem: Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page and quotes the error number 80072F89.

Has microsoft pulled the 98 updates or is there something else wrong?

Having resolved my SATA drive problem and re-installed Windows98 SE, I'm now at the stage where I.m trying to get Windows updates installed but I'm having a problem with the update procedure. Since this is a fresh install it is IE5 that is installed and I'm not sure if this is the problem or not.

I get to the windows update page, it checks and (I think installed a new version of windows update) then when I get it to scan for updates, the progress indicator never goes over 0% and then I get a page saying that there was a problem: Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page and quotes the error number 80072F89.

Has microsoft pulled the 98 updates or is there something else wrong?

It was dicussed here several times already, you need to install either unofficial service pack or at least rootsupd.exe - http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/rootsupd.exe

Petr

Thanks for the info and I did have a look to see if the issue had already been raised but couldn;t find one. I have in fact solved the problem. I suspected it may have been an IE5 issue and, after installing IE6, the update process now works. Currently I am installing the updates.

Many thanks though for taking the time to answer.

I suspected it may have been an IE5 issue and, after installing IE6, the update process now works.

Yes, IE6 contains newer root certificates as well.

Petr

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that error; that Microsoft had disallowed windows update for windows 98. Then I installed IE5.5 SP2 and all was well. I don't see that much has changed with windows update however, so I'm wondering why it's producing that error now. A month ago I could use IE5.0 to do anything. :blink:

EDIT: Next install time, I'm using 98-Lite to get rid of IE completely... take THAT windows update!

Edited by Jlo555

I don't see that much has changed with windows update however, so I'm wondering why it's producing that error now. A month ago I could use IE5.0 to do anything. :blink:

I wrote it twice already - new root certificatres are needed.

Petr