Lost 98SE CD

BJMckay

Hi all, i have just resurected my wifes machine and have installed a network adapter(Netgear FA311 10/100).

During install of driver for network adapter, it prompts for WIN98 cd, and i have lost mine.

Question, is it possible to get these dll's and other files that it is asking for from somewhere else, as i am in isolated(country area)??

Check to see if you have the Win98 cab files on your hard drive. If you do, hit browse and point the installation to those files. I usually install them in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS.

Edited by mr_bumbles

i didnt think of that... you might have the files already. sometimes windows setup copys them to the hard disk. the default folder is \windows\options\cabs

another idea is to use the find feature to see if the file already exists someplace on the disk. (although it probly wont because of it being a device the computer has never seen before. also, this wont find files if they are inside cabs)

PM me, as I have all cabs for 98se which[as stated above] is all you'll need. Just put them in C:\ Windows\ Options\ folder, if you don't have it create it, then point install prgm there. Conversely, you can go to Ebay & see if you can purchase another copy of 98se so as to have disk for later installs.

Edited by randiroo76073

• 2 weeks later...

Download a copy? Maybe I'm wrong (or don't really care) but I think only the serial number itself is the part which makes it illegal to download, if you're downloading the cd image for backup purposes and using your own serial I don't think it's a problem.