Replacing Start -> Run

jftuga

Is there any way to replace what happens when I click Start -> Run. I want this to launch my own standalone .exe file that I have written. Or is this built into explorer.exe and/or shell32.dll and there is no way to really change it?

Thanks,

-John

I think what he wants is to replace "run" itself. Not just to add somthing to the system path which by default is in XP

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32

so anything you type in the run or command line will run if they are located in this directory.

The short answer, in my opinion, Anything is posible, but I bet it would be a bugger.

If I am wrong in uderstanding your question, Valerie's answer is correct. If what you are looking for is to bae able to launc an app from the run box or the command line(in any directory) than the executable needs to be in the system path, like I posted above.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. When you click on Start->Run, a dialog box with the title of "Run" appears. My program is an 'enhanced' version of this dialog box. For example, it would have a checkbox so that you could pipe the command to MORE or to another pager-type program of your choice.

So now, Start->Run would pull up my program which I would title something like "Enhanced Run". Is there a way to replace the standard version with my version?

-John

Edited by jftuga

That's what I thought you wanted to do. I can't tell you how to accomplish that though. I might suggest that if you can't get the answer to that, instead of replacing the standard run, you could remove it and place yours in the same place.

Removing the run icon/link is fairly simple. Right click the start button and select properties. From there go to the "advanced" tab. Scroll down in the "start menu items" till you see "run command" and remove the check mark.

Creating the new link is pretty straigh up too. You can simply create a link use a customize icon if you'd like. Then drag and drop it in the left menu (where the recent programs show or where by default the Internet and E-Mail show). That won't place it exactly where the old one was but it is the simplest method. However, you can create a link where the old one was. Here's a link from this sight that should point you in the right direction for that.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51830