Memory problems..

nibraz

Hi,

I have installed 4gb of rams in to my windows xp pro, and only 2.5gb detects in desktop (when right clicking my computer) but in bios it says 4096MB so it detects in bios. I heard that 32bit windows cant handle 4gb ram and I switched to 64bit windows, then I had troubles with drivers, I haven slept for 1 and a half day figuring out the appz and drivers for windows xp pro x64, so I am gonna switch soon back to 32bit windows xp. Can someone tell me why the 4gb doesnt show in desktop? I need that much memory for Photoshop + Alias Maya cause mostly I will be working on animations and video editing stuffs. Thanks!

The maximum for IA-32 architecture is 4Gb, of which the upper 1GB is reserved for I/O, leaving 3Gb of effective physical RAM.

3Gb should be quite enough though.

ahh...the days of the amiga when all you needed was 2mb of ram 4mb was just crazy talk! if only it was still that simple lol

what if you run an app like cpu-z (www.cpuid.org) does that give you a true amount? or what if yo ulook in task manager under total physical memory?

Edited by eyeball

ahh...the days of the amiga when all you needed was 2mb of ram 4mb was just crazy talk! if only it was still that simple lol

what if you run an app like cpu-z (www.cpuid.org) does that give you a true amount? or what if yo ulook in task manager under total physical memory?

Yes the good ole Amiga days. I am happy to say I kept all 3 of my amiga 2000's, 1 A1000, 2 A500 for a total of 6 Amigas. And my original C=64 with tape drive and 1541&1581 floppy drives. And they all still work :thumbup:thumbup . No worries with Virus and CRAP!!!! I have 1 A2000 networked with Bridgeboard and the Mac emulator, and a place for the A500 when ever I get the urge to turn it on. It's also funny how a 68000 7.14 MHz machine can boot faster than a MS box. Mine are also modded :thumbup such a beautiful machine. :D:D

jd

so ur computer shows the 2.5gb ram & u have installed the 4gb.ur bios shows all the amout of ram u acctully have.

so u have

RESERVED FOR I/O (as LLXX Says)= 1.0 GB

UR GRAPHIC CARD SHARES..........= 0.5 GB (512 MB)

UR COMPUTER SHOWS..................= 2.5 GB

-------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL MEMORY U HAVE = 4GB

-------------------------------------------------------

This calculation is jsut a example.

Edited by naughty

What motherboard is this?

and what is the speed of the memory installed?

I know some motherboards (older Asus boards particularly) could only work with certain speed/number of slots configurations, so basically, you could populate 4 slots with PC2100, only 3 with PC2700 and only 2 with PC3200.

The BIOS would still count all the physical RAM, so 4 1GB sticks of PC3200 would show 4GB in BIOS, but the motherboard would only give the operating system what it was restricted too, so in this case 2GB (2 x 1GB PC3200).

Not sure why this restriction was there, I think it was a physical issue with the memory controllers on some of the older VIA chipsets.