Updates for MSXML 3

Tomalak

Hello,

just noticed that WinXP Pro SP2 comes with MSXML 3 SP5. Is it possible to slipstream SP7 (current german version is 8.70.1104 from 2005/08/19, named "msxml3.msi") with hfslip? I know it supports integration of MSXML 4 and MSXML 6, so what about MSXML 3? Thanks!

Regards,

Commander Tomalak

It's supported but you'll end up with duplicate TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF entries. You can use the latest test release instead; it's updated for MSXML3.MSI. :)

Edited by Tomcat76

You can use the latest test release instead; it's updated for MSXML3.MSI. :)
Thanks, that was quick! I'll test it next time I install Windows... Edited by Tomalak

• 4 weeks later...
You can use the latest test release instead; it's updated for MSXML3.MSI. :)
Okay, had a chance to try this today (used test version 60523a), but it did not work. After installation I still found MSXML3 SP5 instead of MSXML3 SP7 though I had put the newest msxml3.msi in the HF folder.

I used another computer I have no access to now and I'm very busy for the rest of the week so I will try to give more detailled information (logfile etc.) next weekend. Just for your information in case you want to have a look on that issue before...

Regards,

Tomalak

I tested Win2K SP4, WinXP SP1 and WinXP SP2 thoroughly this weekend and everything was OK with MSXML3.MSI. I just did it again to be sure.

The MSXML code in the current final of HFSLIP (60528) has been in place since test release 60511b. It was changed a little in test version 60513c but that change only affects the output on the screen.

Windows XP SP2 comes with MSXML3 SP5, so the only thing I can think of is that --for some reason-- the version in your CD source is newer than 25-Jan-2005.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

sorry I have to come back to that old topic, just to report that slipstreaming MSXML3 SP7 did not work on my last install again (stable version 60712 of hfslip, MSI used from http://tinyurl.com/m2keb). After installation I still have the Windows default of MSXML SP5 (WinXP SP2, german edtion) - everything else (well, except XPize, see separate thread) worked absolutely flawless. It's not really that important, but something like this annoys me - is there something else I can do, or can something been further tweaked in the hfslip script? I'm willing to do some test installs in a virtual machine in the next time, if necessary. Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Commander Tomalak

PS: Just had a look on my source - it's msxml3.dll with a date of 2004/08/04 and has version 8.50.2162.0. I have no clue what is different on my system :-(

Tomalak ---

I checked it out on XP Pro German with only these two files in the HF folder:

msxml3.msi

WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-DEU.exe

The MSXML3.DL_ binary gets updated.

Are you running HFSLIP while logged on as an administrator?

If so, can you verify if it gets updated for you when you use only the above two files? You don't need to do a test install; just look at the file date.

Are you running HFSLIP while logged on as an administrator?

Uh, no... Running it as a normal user - integration of an MSI can fail if you do not have administrator privileges? Just discovered that: MSXML 4.0 SP2 was installed correctly, MSXML6 not. User Profile Hive Cleanup Service was installed, MSXML3 was not.

If so, can you verify if it gets updated for you when you use only the above two files? You don't need to do a test install; just look at the file date.

Okay, will do that - but not today, I'm too tired now and have to go to bed... I'll tell you about the results soon.

Regards,

Tomalak

Running it as a normal user - integration of an MSI can fail if you do not have administrator privileges?
You need admin priviledges to do an "admin install" of MSI packages, which is what HFSLIP is doing to obtain the needed MSXML files coming from *.msi packages.
Just discovered that: MSXML 4.0 SP2 was installed correctly, MSXML6 not. User Profile Hive Cleanup Service was installed, MSXML3 was not.
That explains everything. Neither MSXML3 nor MSXML6 were processed because you aren't running Windows with admin rights while running HFSLIP. If you'd use the MSI package of MSXML4 too, you'd have the same problem there.

Problem solved, see http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=537288

For the future, to prevent other users from stumpling upon the same issue: is it possible to generate a warning at the beginning of a HFSLIP run if the user has no admin rights? I didn't see any error messages during the run that would've given me a hint on my mistake, even for the MSI files with the admin installs... Or they just went off screen too fast to recognize them. Thanks!

Tomalak