[Help] Internet Connection blocks software updates.

tal ormanda

So you can conclude that obviously it's a problem in new ISP, can you contact their support and ask them to assist you..

Maybe they're having some problems or you have to make some extra configuration on ur PC to be able to connect to new ISP..

If you're connected and can't browse, it could be also DNS problem..

This may sound oversimplified, but I have seen it, so I figured I'd mention it...

DSL is a dial up service. If you have a program that is set to automatically update, updates via the program itself or you don't get the updates via thier website, you first have to log into the DSL service for the connection to take place. The first thing I'd do if you haven't tried this yet is open a webpage and then try to do the updates with the webpage open.

There are ways to make a program be able to login automatically for you, I'd check here for info on that

http://netservices.verizon.net/portal/site/msa/

Well the CD for verizon didnt work and i had to go to the router with the ip address and change the stuff to make the connection work.

Well, that is required when you change your ISP.

The ISP may block access to certain services & ports - although that seems a little paranoid for a ISP if they block things that Windows / Microsoft Update requires lol - so calling them is your best bet....

The other thought I have is that you may have got a virus or spyware infection at the same time as the change over, and it may be nothing to do with the ISP - but you will probably want to check on that too ;)

Regards

Nath

Nope, no virus, i scan everyday with Adaware SE, Ewido, spybot, noadware is gone now since i cant update it.

You should add SpywareBlaster & Windows Defender to your list - two preventative programs as if it can get in your system, then it can hide. By using preventative software, you stop that thought - or at least - minimise the chance of it infecting.

And remember that you need A/V software as well as anti-spyware software - presumably u have one installed [such as AVG Free Edition] but i thought I should mention it.

Good luck with the ISP and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Nath

Ah, the infamous ZA! :whistle:

With ZA you have to allow every program on your computer, that you want to let get to the internet, permission to get out through the firewall.

Open ZA and look in the permissions list. I don't have it on this PC so can't tell you exactly the name for that list. But check that your programs have permission to access the internet. It may just be called "programs".

A wrong click somewhere may have disabled them.

Or, you can try, totally shutting down ZA from ever starting and reboot and try your updates again.

I'd much rather have my updates than I would to have ZA.

With proper security and the windows firewall running, ZA would become totally redundant.

That's why I no longer use it. I haven't since SP2 was installed on my PC.

ZA is also somewhat of a resource hog. If you don't really need it......get rid of it.

For those people who are just too computer illiterate, too lazy or just plain Refuse to do updates to their security programs, ZA becomes necessary. For the rest of us, its just not required. The windows firewall is sufficient.

Cheers,

Andromeda43 B)

Edited by Andromeda43

Pretty much what my answer was going to be hehe ;) tho i havent ever used it myself, ive visited a large amount of ZA installations - though I never can get my head around its interface [from lack of knowledge on the product i guess].

I'm not quite up on each package they provide, but they have one that is just a firewall and another that has a A/V built in.

If you only have the firewall version, then get some A/V software too - i firewall isnt enough ;) and if you have the one that has both - then thats fine, but like the previous poster says, you need to configure the exceptions properly - which is probably the most likely reason why you arent recieving your updates.

Unless, it was working fine before the switch, and depending on your setup, you may have a different IP address now that you have switched your provider - so bear that in mind to when it comes to Zone Alarm.

Good luck

Nath