[Help] Proxies not working

HyperHacker

Ever since I reinstalled Windows, I've been having a strange problem with proxies. I use Proxomitron which acts as a proxy running on my system to filter out ads and junk. If I configure browsers to not use any proxy, they work fine, but when they're set to use Proxomitron (even when it's disabled, not filtering things) both IE and Firefox randomly fail to find the page. Firefox for some reason just shows a blank page while IE shows its standard error page. I was having a problem a few days ago where Firefox would show its error page and not make any more connections, but this seems to have just stopped somehow. I doubt it's a Proxomitron bug, as I've been using this same version and configuration for years and it's never been any problem. The log window shows it sending a request then closing the connection:

Connection Time-Out: 11270

Client opened: total 1

+++GET 11274+++

GET /viewtopic.php?t=9300&start=45 HTTP/1.1

Host: forum.gbadev.org

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/20060308 Firefox/1.5.0.2

Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5

Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5

Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7

Keep-Alive: 300

Referer: http://forum.gbadev.org/viewforum.php?f=20...918bf5ba8f77835

Cookie: <REMOVED>

Connection: keep-alive

Connection Reused: 11273->11274

+++CLOSE 11274+++

Client closed: total 0

When working normally, it doesn't close the connection until it gets a reply. It happens on every web site. Just refreshing brings up the page, but it's quite annoying.

Edited by HyperHacker

If I configure browsers to not use any proxy, they work fine, but when they're set to use Proxomitron (even when it's disabled, not filtering things) both IE and Firefox randomly fail to find the page.

I doubt it's a Proxomitron bug, as I've been using this same version and configuration for years and it's never been any problem. The log window shows it sending a request then closing the connection.

I hate to say you're likely wrong, but I have to - if you don't go through the product, you have no problem, but if you do, problems exist for ALL browsers on the system. Seems like a proximitron issue to me, no?

Hello HyperHacker!

Got the same bug here! The problems occured when I swiched from firefox 1.0 to version 1.5. But: no problems with IE so far! If have used Proxomitron many years before without any issues.

Especially the homepage of a famous german boulevard (news)paper (www.bild.de) "produces" many blank pages. Reloading the page solves the problem. Very annoying! :realmad:

If have tried many different versions of proxomitron, no luck yet. Any new perceptions/suggestions?

Greetings

Ralf

(using Windows XP SP2 up to date+Kaspersky Antivirus+Router Firewall+no beta software)

Addendum:

Tried the "Bild"-Homepage with Opera. No blank pages at all, but sometimes horrible layout. Well, it seems that IE is still the best browser concerning layout and stability (of course there are many "Microsoft friendly" homepages). Apart from that the Mozilla foundation could not keep their security promises (over 40 critical bugs from version 1, nevertheless fixed quickly). Waiting for IE7?!? Seems so! :whistle:

Greetings

Hm, seems the board decided not to tell me about these replies. >_>

This might seem to be a strange question, but are you using wireless internet connection?

I have a wireless DSL modem/router combo, but this machine is wired into it. (It has 4 ethernet ports and an antenna, plus the phone jack.) There's one machine (used to be 2) connected wirelessly, plus a few Nintendo DSes that sometimes use it (also wireless).

The problem's almost gone away, though. I still get them but it's like once every few days now. :blink:

Edited by HyperHacker

Do you notice anything about the weather on the days that it occurs? Is it particularly sunny or rainy?

I have a wireless router and it seems to want to cut the connection once in a while. Happens more often on sunny days than rainy days :wacko:

Must be air pressure or something similar affecting the circuitry...

I don't think it's a hardware problem, since everything works fine when I don't use a proxy. There could be a strange connection with the weather, though. It rained a lot last month and the connection would cut out fairly often, while this month it's been sunny and it happens quite rarely. I guess it could be a hardware thing combined with something Proxomitron is changing?

I should emphasize, though, that even though the router has a wireless function this computer is connected directly through an ethernet cable. It has a wireless card, but it's not used for the Internet. (In fact it has custom drivers to do other things and thus isn't even capable of being used for the Internet.)