Silent MSI Install - how do I enter my product id?

BrainDrain

I'm trying to get an unattended CD going, but I can't get Delphi7 installing silently... when I use the silent switch (/qn) it starts, then says "The serial number or authorization key is invalid. Installation cannot contine." Does anyone know how I can tell it my serial number, authorization key, and if possible, what options to install?

e.g. It would be great if C:\delphi7.msi /qn /SERIAL:XXXX /AuthorizationCode:XXXX /Installdir:XXXX

obviously the above doesn't does anyone know of a solution to this?

Edited by BrainDrain

I don't know of any switches.

The only commercial msi I use is Office 2003, and I use a Transforms file.

You can use a program called msitran.exe in the windows installer sdk to make a transforms file but I don't know how to use it. You can download the SDK here.

try Wise InstallTailor....

InstallTailor lets you customize Windows Installer installations by simulating running the package as you make the desired changes. Your changes to the package are recorded and the .MST file is created. The .MST file is then applied to the base .MSI file at runtime to execute your customizations. With InstallTailor, you can easily use the preferred method of Windows Installer customization, .MST files, to establish uniform installation settings across your enterprise.

Free

http://www.wise.com/installtailor.asp?bhcp=1

or use Orca (free - hunt for it on the Microsoft site) and edit the .msi directly - can be tricky..

or use Orca (free - hunt for it on the Microsoft site) and edit the .msi directly - can be tricky..

U can also create a transform with orca - meaning u dont have to edit the msi ;)

Quite simple to use with a bit of playing - best to get stuck in there and try stuff out with it :)

Cheers

Nath