Multiple physical machines

Note that this isn't available until AFTER Windows is installed, unless you're in WinPE with WMI access. You won't have access to WMIC in RIS or during Windows setup.

That's true, but using WMIC after the initial plain install of Windows could be very useful for querying system information and making decisions which apps and drivers to install.

I keep reading hints that say the XPE plug-in for BartPE enables WMI, but I haven't had a chance to see if this supports the WMIC command-line utility. If it did, that would be very sweet, because one could query SMBIOS information before choosing which image to install from the PE environment.

I wonder if WMIC is available when CMDLINES.TXT is run (before the reboot) since this is when many unattended installs perform custom actions?

If no one knows for sure, I suspect a test is in order... :whistle:

A side note is that WinPE 2005 can be built with WMI support, and it does work, so if you've got a valid agreement with MS that provides you with WinPE, having the WMI support is likely a real benefit in these situations... :)

Edited by cluberti

A side note is that WinPE 2005 can be built with WMI support, and it does work, so if you've got a valid agreement with MS that provides you with WinPE, having the WMI support is likely a real benefit in these situations... :)

Thanks cluberti, didn't know that. I actually work for a M$ Gold Certified Partner and have WinPE 2004 & 2005 laying on my desk... :D I opted for BartPE initially because it seemed simpler to install and get going with, I liked all the plugin support and the GUI, but have things so well setup with it I may try WinPE just for fun and WMI support!

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have a link to SMBIOSD.exe v3.10 or could you PM me?

The site at ftp.sudleyplace.com doesn't work and all other searches are that version or older.

I was able to get v3.09 but it errors out on Dell 1950's and I assume other SMBIOS 2.4 systems.

Thanks

Hi All - this is my 1st post - and my take on the multiple machine question.

I have written a WMI script that is called during runOnceCmd.cmd. The script uses WMI and finds the machine type, then based on what is found adds some lines to some runoncekeys to add some additional software: example below. This could be used for drivers or anything. Our current RIS build supports a whole range of Dell machines and drivers are specified in our sif file. anyway heres the script example. once the machine reboots the software / drivers are installed automatically. incedently the software.vbs script that is called populates runonce keys with a whole list of our STD build software, the additional software is installed at the end of the process.

Dim StrModel

SET WshShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

SET WshFSO = Wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

SET WshNetwork = Wscript.Createobject("Wscript.Network")

StrComputer = "."

Set objWMI = GetObject("Winmgmts:" & "{Impersonationlevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Computer = wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%Computername%")

sysdrv = wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%SYSTEMDRIVE%")

allusers = wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%AllUsersProfile%")

Set ColSystem = ObjWmi.Execquery ("SELECT Model FROM WIN32_ComputerSystem")

For Each SYS in ColSystem

Model = Sys.Model

Next

strModel = Model

Select Case Trim(strModel)

Case "Latitude D610"

D610

Case "Latitude D600"

D600

Case "Latitude D800"

D800

Case "OptiPlex GX520"

GX520

Case "OptiPlex GX280"

GX280

Case "Latitude D620"

D620

Case Else

End Select

Sub D600

VPN ' install VPN software

PowerDVD 'install PowerDVD

WshShell.Run "C:\Windows\BuildScripts\Software.vbs" ' run std software routine

End Sub

Sub D610

VPN

PowerDVD

WshShell.Run "C:\Windows\BuildScripts\Software.vbs"

End Sub

Sub D620

D620Modem

VPN

PowerDVD

End Sub

Sub GX520

PowerDVD

END Sub

Sub GX280

END Sub

Sub Default

END Sub

Sub PowerDVD

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\998\","Power DVD","REG_SZ"

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\998\1","C:\TenonIT\Software\PowerDVD\Setup.exe /S","REG_SZ"

END SUB

Sub VPN

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\994\","Cisco VPN Software","REG_SZ"

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\994\1","C:\TenonIT\Software\VPNClient\vpnclient_setup.msi /qn /norestart","REG_SZ"

END SUB

Sub D620Modem

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\993\","D620 Modem","REG_SZ"

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\993\1","C:\WINDOWS\Drivers\D620\Modem\setup.exe /S","REG_SZ"

END SUB