Unable to install network adaptors on Pentium D (dual core) in BartPE

indy_dba

Ok here is an interesting problem. I just got a new high end Dell Preceision 380 Workstation it has a 2.8 Ghz Pentium D (dual core) CPU and Broadcom 57xx gigabit NIC.

I have been successful so far in PXE booting BartPE from RIS services on Server 2003+SP1 with many different server systems (I know I am odd working on servers not PC's with BartPE). One of these servers an HP DL140 uses the same Broadcom gigabit NIC and BartPE works fine.

On the new Dell380 I am able to boot BartPE off the RIS server in TXT mode (BartPE is the only image I run and all .OSC screens are automated so BartPE starts right up after pressing F12); however, when the box box says "Installing network adapters..." comes up an "Unable to install network adaptors." message appears and the Broadcom NIC is not detected. :no:

I have tried several different versions of the Broadcom NIC and it works fine on the HP DL140 but not on the Dell Precision 380 so I am infering that I have this driver setup correctly in BartPE. So I am left to wonder is the Pentium D the source of my problem? How does the NIC adaptor detection run? Could something on a newer class mobo/CPU cause this detection of the NIC to fail? :blink:

Anyone got BartPE or WinPE working on a Pentium D system? Other tips?

I've been down that route... Here is what you need to do.

Copy *.sys - \i386\system32\drivers

Copy *.dll - \i386\system32

Copy *.exe - \i386\system32

Copy *.din - \i386\system32

Copy *.inf - \i386\inf

Should work then.

Edited by ChrisBaksa

The Broadcom B57XX gigabit driver has only three files a .CAT, .INF, and a .SYS. PE Builder already put the .SYS and .INF file in the directories you described.

What's weird is I am able to boot BartPE just fine and the SATA driver can read the local disk. The only problem is BartPE isn't able to find the network adaptor... Weird!

Any other ideas?

ok get a program like pci detect and find the vendor and device id take note of it!

Next find your broadcom INF file and open it with Notepad look for your Vender and device id within the file is it there?

There are many types of broadcom not just one driver ie 5701, 5702 etc..

%BCM5700% = BCM5700.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644

%BCM5700% = BCM5700CX.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644&REV_21

%BCM5700% = BCM5700CX.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644&REV_22

%BCM5701% = BCM5701.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1645

%BCM5702% = BCM5702.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1646

%BCM5702% = BCM5702.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_16A6

%BCM5702FE% = BCM5702FE.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_164d

%BCM5703% = BCM5703.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_16A7

%BCM5703% = BCM5703.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1647

%BCM5700FB% = BCM5700FB.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644&SUBSYS_000214e4

%BCM5700FA% = BCM5700FA.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1644&SUBSYS_000314e4

%BCM5701FA% = BCM5701FA.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1645&SUBSYS_000714e4

%BCM5703S% = BCM5703S.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_16A7&SUBSYS_000a14e4

%BCM5703S% = BCM5703S.XpInst, PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_1647&SUBSYS_000a14e4

This is inf file from the HP Broadcom dc7100 driver when barts scans for the PCI ID it will find the Vendor and device id and look for it within the file once it finds it it then refers to the right driver with the settings in the inf file.

Have a look at the barts Modboot or network boot disk where you can download card plugins

If I am teaching you to suck eggs Sorry!

Well I don't know if you are teaching me anything (eggs or otherwise) LOL

I just found this is most likely NOT a driver issue, because I just ran BartPE from CD-ROM and BartPE has no problem accessing the network with the driver I had in the build.

So this isolates the problem to something special about running BartPE from PXE boot via Windows Server2003+SP1 RIS service when combined with a PentiumD (dual core) CPU and using a recent Broadcom 57XX driver.

I am able to PXE boot the servers I work on; Intel SE7230NH1-E, SE7250JR, HP DL380, DL360, DL140, Intel Buckner, etc without this problem. The HP DL140 even has the same (or similar enough) Broadcom 57XX driver and it boots fine.

Remember the problem I am having is with BartPE not detecting the network driver, but at this point I have already PXE/RIS booted BartPE from the network so it seems like the driver I have should be the correct one. Especially since we now know it works from CD-ROM!

Weird problem huh? :wacko:

when you say PXE boot this uses the UNDI Driver does it not?

And yes thats weird? so booting barts cd it lodas the driver for you nic ok, but when pushed down from the pxe it does not boot?

Yes exactly the the two Dell PC's I have tried it on; an Optiplex GX520 and Precision Workstation 380 will not PXE boot BartPE; however, from CD-ROM with the exact same BartPE build the network driver works fine. Whats even stranger is using the same driver an HP DL140 server PXE boots the same BartPE build just fine.

Very odd indeed, huh?

• 1 month later...

Does the computers which won't work use ide drives and have a sata controller enabled ? I 've had similar problem when booting dos floppy on some hp evo and disabling the sata controller was the solution.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I have new Dell Precision Workstation 490. I tried to re-image from ghost server using BartPE as a boot disk but the speed was very slow when trying to get image from ghost server. It was about 200MB/min. This is way too slow compare to others Dell that I have. The average speed for other Dells is about 1500MB/min on the gigabit network. I figured this is becasue of the SCSI controller on the Dell 490. So, I took another SCSI controller along with the hard drive and put them to the Dell 490, the speed when downloading the image was great again. I don't know if this new SCSI controller is supported by bartPE and Ghost 8.3.

Here is the information on the SCSI controller:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...69&libid=46

It is called Dell SAS 5/iR Adapter. It uses the new hard drive that looks similar to seriral ATA. It is something like Serial SCSI. The interface looks exactly like the serial ATA.

One more thing, is the PXE boot on BartPE with Windows 2003 RIS faster than the BartPE boot CD?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Anyone has any ideas why ghost is very slow on the Serial Attached SCSI drives when booting up from BartPE and connected to ghost server over gigabit network? This is not multicast. The speed was 300MB/min or less while the speed on parallel SCSI was above 1600MB/min. Thanks.

Anyone has any ideas why ghost is very slow on the Serial Attached SCSI drives when booting up from BartPE and connected to ghost server over gigabit network? This is not multicast. The speed was 300MB/min or less while the speed on parallel SCSI was above 1600MB/min. Thanks.

Can you isolate what's slow? Is the slow part xfering the data, or writing it? If you just xfer it and then discard the data (and don't write it locally) is it still slow? If so, you've got a disk slowdown issue. If you can't even xfer it quickly (ie you discard the data and don't write it - and it's still slow) then that's an ethernet NIC issue.

It is slow when the system gets the image from the ghost server. Ghost indicates the speed of getting the image on the screen. It tells you how fast the data transfer from ghost server to the system you want to image. On the different controller, the speed was fast as I expected (1600MB/min or above). But on this particular Serial Attached SCSI the speed was very slow (300Mb/min) considering the new Serial Attached SCSI suppose to be faster than regular SCSI (called parallel SCSI.) Do you think it is becasue ghost doesn't support this new type of controller or it is becasue BartPE with the driver problem on the controller? Thanks.