Explorer.exe Error After RIS

I have only recently started using RIS. At work I was assigned the task of creating a RIS method for deploying about 300 workstations. The workstations are all Dell Optiplex GX620 machines. I created a RIPREP image for our workstations including Microsoft Office 2003, Adobe Acrobat 7.0.7, WinZip 8.0, PaperPort Viewer and all current patches and updates. I was then able to work through the issue with the Broadcom network drivers and install windows remotely with no interaction from the person using RIS.

I am now completely stuck. After installing Windows the computers function perfectly except for one error message. Before the computers are joined to the domain I have not seen this issue, but we have not ran the computers off the domain for any extended amount of time. For 75% of the computers, whenever any user logs on the receive the following error message (the memory address is different each time):

error1pw.jpg

We have tried updating all drivers on the machines, reinstalling Adobe, and updating the BIOS. I need a solution for repairing 200+ of these machines, hopefully with as little work as required as it would only be 2 techs working on this. I would imagine that all of the workstations are experiencing this issue and some users just haven't reported it.

I believe this is an issue cause by something I messed up in the RIS, ideally I would like to be able to fix it without reinstalling, and if we do have to reinstall I would prefer to be able to fix my RIS so that it works properly. Reinstalling 300 workstations with only two techs would become a daunting task. If anyone has any information or suggestions that may help me, I would greatly appreciate the help! Below is a copy of my sif file for the RIS setup.

[data]
floppyless = "1"
msdosinitiated = "1"
OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"
OriTyp = "4"
LocalSourceOnCD = 1
DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin = 1

[SetupData]
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"
SetupSourceDevice ="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"
SysPrepDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%SYSPREPPATH%"
SysPrepDriversDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%SYSPREPDRIVERS%"

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall = yes
OemPnpDriversPath=Drivers\NIC;Drivers\Chipset;Drivers\Audio;Drivers\Video
FileSystem = LeaveAlone
ExtendOEMPartition = 0
TargetPath = \WINDOWS
OemSkipEula = yes
InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"
LegacyNIC = 1
UnattendMode=FullUnattend
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[UserData]
ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
FullName = "Staff"
OrgName = "OrgName"
ComputerName = NEWBUILD

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome = 1
OemSkipRegional = 1
TimeZone = 035
AdminPassword = "********"

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 16
XResolution = 1024
YResolution = 768
VRefresh = 60

[Networking]

[NetServices]
MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition = Yes
UseWholeDisk = Yes

[OSChooser]
Description ="Windows XP Professional SP2 - GX620"
Help ="Standard image for GX620 with Windows XP Pro SP2, Office 2003, Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, Winzip, Paperport, and all ODBC connections. Image current as of 03/22/2006."
LaunchFile ="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"
ImageType =SYSPREP
Version="5.1 (2600)"
SysPrepSystemRoot="Mirror1\UserData\WINDOWS"
HalName=halmacpi.dll
ProductType=0

Thank you for any help you can provide,

- Shawn

Hi,

I'm afraid this isn't much help - but I believe your problem is caused by an application you've included with your RIPREP image. I've only seen such issues with RIPREP (and not RISETUP) images. I don't have a specific fix expcept to advise you that in future you should consider one of the following solutions:

1. Use RISETUP images.

2. Use Ghost (or Ghost like, i.e. Acronis) binary images, but *not* RIPREP.

Sorry this is not of much help to your current predicament. I would advise that you set up a test domain so that in future you can diagnose these problems before they go live on your production domain.

Good luck,

Andy

When do the explorer.exe errors occur? Are they frequent?

Download and install userdump.exe from microsoft.com/downloads (remember that once you run the .exe to extract it, you still have to go into the extracted directory in x86 and run setup.exe again to install), and configure it (via the Process Dump icon in the control panel) for a "new" rule for "explorer.exe", the properties of which should include selecting the advanced configuration, all exceptions, and dump on process termination (this'll make sense once you install it and first go to use it on a workstation).

Once configured, the next time explorer.exe crashes, it should create an explorer.exe.dmp file in your C:\Windows directory - if you could provide me with that .dmp file (I'll provide FTP info in a PM) I can debug it and tell you what module and what function is causing the crashes, and you can go about making riprep changes from there.

Oh, and I third everyone's opinion - imaging is not a good idea unless there's a SPECIFIC reason to do so, otherwise RiSetup images are MUCH easier in the long run, and can be scripted to be just as hands-off as a riprep image (without all of the nasty image "gotchas").

Edited by cluberti