control 98 through infrared?

prx984

hey everyone, i have a quesion regarding infrared control. i have searched google, but havent come across anything that can help me, most of what i find is for linux. i have a compaq armada 1700 just sittin here and i want to connect it to my stereo and use it as a component for my mp3s. i also have a universal remote control lying around and i want use the laptop with a remote. now, i dont know if its possible because the IR receiver is on the back of the comp, i can probably just put a mirror there or something because i do want to see what im doing on screen. so... id like to know if it can be done. the laptop has windows 98 on it right now, and the IR port is working. just want to know if i can do it. any ideas? right now i have my desktop hooked up to my stereo, but its a pain because how far away it is lol. anyway, thanks.

-brian

thats ok then, if i need to build one ill just forget it, i dont have the money to do it right now. is there by any chance a peice of software that i can load on my pocket pc to transmit info through a wifi connection? i know it can be done with itunes, but i cant put itunes on a 233 laptop. plus id like to keep the boot time to a minimum anyway. id like to use winamp or any other low resource mp3 player if possible. thanks.

-brian

You can control the desktop PC using your laptop. There are many programs for this task, try Remote Administrator or (if the desktop is on XP) Remote Desktop.

Btw. the circuit is very easy to build, i've done one some time ago. And the parts are pretty cheap, mine costed about 2$.

P.S. Google shows some useful ads at the bottom of this page :)

Edited by RainyShadow

iv tried remote desktop, but the sound doesn't play through the desktop speakers, in fact it sends it through the network and plays on my laptop speakers. i also have my desktop hooked up to my stereo, so i can do that it if it comes down to it. thanks for the replies.

-brian