[LAN] Remote Storage

Hi,

I have 7 offices, all of which require access to central file store.

Currently we use a lan2Lan VPN to a win2k3 box, which works, mapped drives to store.

But it is Very Very slow as its running over a Bog Standard Broadband.

Now we cant afford to get Faster connections ie Fast Upload and Download in each office, so I was looking into Out of House storage possibly.

Can anyone shed some light on the possible routes/ways of doing this.

We are a UK company.

We require Secure and fast access to these documents.

Which Vary in size considerable.

Would it be possible, for example to have a Hosting package with a company and map a drive to it this way?

Or can anyone who is in the UK suggest a Fast and cost effective "Broadband" style connection which would allow fast upload and download speeds.

Many thanks in advance

Gekko

Edited by Gouki

I don't know about the UK, but here in the states upload speed is almost always crippled. The idea here is that your ISP does not want you to be hosting anything. So they give you enough speed for VoIP, video conferencing and the like. If you want a fat upstream pipe you're going to have to pay up. Like I said, this is how it is in the states, but I don't see any reason for it to be much different in the UK.

well, you could use a webhost to store your files, but depending on the host you use, they may have upload/download limits as well... most have storage limits as well

mapping network drives can't be done over the internet... the drive must be located on your local network.