[LAN] Binding Order of lan card

Gogol

How do I change the binding order ?

By default Xp gives priority to wireless over wired causing long delay before displaying the login box. If I go to network connections/advanced menu/advanced settings and set priority to wired over wireless, the problem is solved.

For security reasons, all wireless network class and protocol had been disabled with devcon.exe and IbindCfg.exe.

I tried to change the "metric" without any result.

Crosoft KB894564 suggest me to write a tool in C++ to fix this problem !!! :thumbup

Anybody had something to fix this problem ?

I've always found that changing the metric for a NIC works pretty spotty at best. Rather, I modify the routing table for precisely what I need and that works every time. For instance, my work laptop connects to a wireless network completely seperate from our internal network. The wireless network provides a much faster connection to the internet and this way the bandwidth on the primary network is saved for those trivial things, like our email server :P

After installing a multihomed computer like my laptop, the routing table indicates both interfaces have a metric of 20 to destination 0.0.0.0 (the internet). So what I do is essentially overwrite default routing entry for the WiFi adapter's internet route:

route -p add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 metric 10

This way only the single entry is modified instead of modifying the metric for the entire NIC.