A question on the issue with the Post SP4 Rollup

berntie

Hi!

As Fred Vorck tells me in his instructions to create W2k SP5 (at the bottom of the page in the FAQs), there are two (in US versions only one) files in the Post SP4 Rollup that are corrupt: halmacpi.dll and webvw.dll (in the non-english versions).

I am also told about HFSLIP that

What is happening is that the script simply keeps the SP4 version.

So far, so good.

My question is: What's wrong with the SP4 versions of those files? I'm assuming that there's something wrong with them since the rollup replaces them. If they're all right, why would they be replaced?

I'm trying to apply logic here but I'm also aware of the fact that logic probably may not be applied when dealing with corporations as large as microsoft.

Anyway, I would be glad if someone could enlighten me. Thanks.

Apparantly, security problems (vulnerabilities) affect webvw.dll from SP4 and the one in the Rollup. The latest version is included in the KB900725 hotfix.

BTW... HFSLIP *does* install the latest version of webvw.dll. The problem you read about on FDV's page (which is a registration problem) is worked around.

I don't know much about the halmacpi.dll issue. That's "before my time", hehe. :)

Edited by Tomcat76

The CPU HALT instruction is no more with the Post SP4 hotfix.

That means that when your CPU is idle, it won't throttle down. So if your PC is just sitting there, not doing anything, chances are that the CPU can (in some settings) overheat.

More information here.

BTW... HFSLIP *does* install the latest version of webvw.dll. The problem you read about on FDV's page (which is a registration problem) is worked around.

How would that workaround look like? (I'm just being curious.)

The CPU HALT instruction is no more with the Post SP4 hotfix.

And what about the SP4 version of halmacpi.dll?

How would that workaround look like? (I'm just being curious.)
During Windows setup, the SP4 version is installed and registered and then overwritten with the version from the latest hotfix that contains it. Basically, for non-English versions of Windows 2000, HFSLIP does what the non-English Rollup and KB900725 installers do. Edited by Tomcat76