InstallingApplications

cmdow @ /HID
@Echo Off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\win51ip.SP2 SET CDROM=%%i:

SET PP=%cdrom%\Install\

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%PP%AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe /silent" /f

EXIT

Does this code look correct I just want to see if I can get adobe reader installed on my next test with out hitting next next etc tc....

this is the way my folder listing breaks down

xpcd/$oem$/$1/install/adobe reader/AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe

and this is where my RunOnceEx.cmd and cmdlines.txt are located

xpcd/$oem$/RunOnceEx.cmd

/cmdlines.txt

If anyone can confirm that this is wrong or right that would be great.

Thanks

Well strictly speaking, the runonceex.cmd code will run fine, however, your files are in the wrong place.

Anything inside $OEM$ structure is copied to the hard drive, if you want to install from CD-ROM then put the application in xpcd\install

In your case you would have to change the runonceex.cmd to say

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%PP%\AdobeReader\AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe /silent" /F

and put your application in

• xpcd\Install\AdobeReader

xpcd/$oem$/$1/install/adobe reader/AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe
Try this if you are installing from the hard drive
xpcd\$oem$\$1\install\adobe reader\AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe

If you want to install from the CD

xpcd/\install\adobe reader\AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe
The reason is the second quote will get copy to a local drive during the install.

The Third quote stay on the CD

This seems to be correct I do not know about the switches for Adobe as i do not use it.

cmdow @ /HID

@Echo Off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\win51ip.SP2 SET CDROM=%%i:

SET PP=%cdrom%\Install\

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 7" /f

@minusbfold

WTF :o

I'm writing a full tutorial for you to install that very app that very same way, but you prefer to start yet another thread just like if you did not read the answer to your first one???

I mean, I don't mind you not acknowledging, but then if everything is good why do you start another thread?

On the other hand, if you think my post doesn't answer you question or is badly shaped, why can't you just tell it to me so I can improve it for other readers?

This is very true if you find it too verbose, or unreadable, or whatever...

I won't bite you, you know.

SET PP=%cdrom%\Install\

1- To complete gunsmokingman, if you install from hard drive use instead: SET PP=C:\Install\, or better SET PP=%systemdrive%\Install\

2- This ' /silent' switch does not work for a silent install here. The one I gave you does.

That's Ok, I'm not offended.

But writing such tutorial requires quite some time, so I'd better now before if other users don't give a s*** about it. Or have improvements to suggest. Criticism is *always* welcome.

It's just because that step is difficult to grasp and that the official guide may not be enough that I wrote it.

I also had hard time there. I understand your situation.

Now just have a glimpse at mine. ;)

Anyway, your question are still welcome. But try to keep the whole thing in 1 single thread in order for the other users here having a hard time grasping this same stuff to benefit from it without having to look for all the bits dispersed in different threads.

Change the switch from ' /silent' to ' /S /v/qn'.

That is, I beleive and tested, the actually working one for silently installing that version (7.0.7) of Acrobat reader.

There may be some different way to go for installing your apps (from HD, from CD, etc.) but usually there is only ONE possibility for the switch for one particular prog to get install silently.

You have to use the correct ones for each app (search for them in the guide or on the dedicated forum).

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Test Programs Installation" /S /v/qn
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Test with Adobe Reader" /S /v/qn
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "C:\install_test\AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe" /S /v/qn

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Test Programs Installation" /S /v/qn
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Test with Spybot" /S /v/qn
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "C:\install_test\spybotsd14.exe" /S /v/qn

Hows that look?/

Hard to grab that switch thing hé? ;)

Actually the ' /S /v/qn' switch is for the 'installer command', not for the REG ADD command as you put it:

* The whole 'installer command', including the silent switch, has to fit inside the quotes.

- It is NOT YET a command stricto-sensu.

- Rather, in this context, it is just a text added to the registry by the REG ADD command.

-> As such it needs to be surrounded by quotes and to follow the /D (data) switch of REG ADD.

* The REG ADD command needs a ' /F' switch to force the addition/overwriting of the value in the key.

* You don't need to repeat the REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Test Programs Installation" /F line for each program.

- This line is only setting the title of the RunOnceEx list window (the one showing up just after login, saying it is installing your programs).

- It writes the data (/D) 'Test Programs Installation' to the value (/V) TITLE of the key %KEY%.

- If you repeat it, it repeats the exact same action, and only that. No need to do so, one time is enough.

*Open a command prompt and type 'REG ADD /?' to learn about the syntax of this comment.

And as I said before, switches are specific to each installer. So the one for Adobe ( /S /v/qn) may not work for Spybot.

Appart from this, it looks good. Keep on learning!

Your correct RunOnceEx.cmd should be:

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Test Programs Installation" /F

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Test with Adobe Reader" /F
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "C:\install_test\AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe /S /v/qn" /F

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Test with Spybot" /F
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "C:\install_test\spybotsd14.exe /SpecificSilentSwitchForSpybot" /F

Just replace ' /SpecificSilentSwitchForSpybot' by the correct switch for this program.

Edited by Djé