Problem when integrating Update kb912945 into my RIS

Right,

i have got some nice working RIS installs with latest ryman & BTS driver packs. i tried integrating this update kb/912945 into each install but its all gone pete Tong.

XP installs fine but after the reboot it asks to save a html file (if i recall its OOBE related). when you click save the install freezes & dosent go any further. this problem is the same on all my ris installs i have integrated this update on.

i have managed to roll some of the i386 directories back to before this update & they are now fine.

what casued the problem & has anyone else had it..?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912945

Yea that's a pretty bad hotfix. RyanVM decided not to include it in his update pack for good reason. It seems to screw up a lot of things. I sure hope that Microsoft works this one out sometime soon because the premise of the hotfix is here to stay. Only thing that could change it now is an unlikely court ruling.

I would simply avoid using the hotfix as it does not address any security issues nor does it fix any bugs.

That hotfix will be in the next (and all subsequent) IE rollup or cumulative update package, so you will only be able to avoid it for so long before it'll be hard not to apply it.

It does cause lots of issues with applications that use ActiveX, but the courts didn't side with us on this one, so we're stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed - integrating is a good way to go in the long run, if you understand how it works and are willing to keep up on a monthly basis. Integrating Office hotfixes into your admin point is also another good idea most people forget.