[MISC] Unable to open Active Directory Users and Computers tool

Hi all

Its been a month or so back since I've had the following problem so if you know the answer, please let me know.

When I try and open the Active Directory Users and Computers tool, I get the following happen:

post-15242-1144140522_thumb.jpg

This happens on every computer I've tried - both server and desktop - and I cant seem to find a way to fix it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am the administrator and it doesnt work on the administrator account - so I cant see how it can be permissions btw ;)

Anyone have any ideas or have seen this before?

I was trying out RIS which was the last time I used it, and I've tried installing the latest "adminpak" on both the server and workstations to see if that helps - which it hasnt so far.

Any ideas would be very very useful.

Nath

Edited by tarquel

Something simple to check out is the NTFS permissions on the dsa.msc file. Make sure the permissons were not accidentally changed somehow. While you're in there make certain there isn't a check mark in one of the "Deny" checkboxes for your admin user or any of the security groups that user is a member of.

Hi guys

Thanks for replying.

@gouki:

hehe yes mate - it is there. We are talking about multiple workstations and servers here.

But just in case, I checked on the DC and is there...

@roguespear:

...and the NTFS [file] permissions look fine.

Those sort of permissions havent been changed i.e. its only me that can change them, and between the "was working fine" and "now not working" aspect, I havent adjusted any group policies that would affect me.

Its really confusing and looks like I'm gonna have to tell management the bad news [something i really want to avoid if possible lol] and pay MS for a incident charge thing.

Any more ideas really welcome asap tho :)

Cheers

Nath

It's not unheard of for a GPO to get corrupted. This happened to me and let me tell you, it took a long time for me to diagnose and fix the issue. As a last ditch effort, I would create a new security group that has enterprise and domain admin membership, and then create a new user in that group. See if that user can run the snap-in.

If you are able to run the GPMC, but it sounds like maybe not, perform some RSOP on the user that suddenly can't run the snap-in and see if you can find any anomalies in there.

I have sort of solved it by clearing the Administrator [the only user using the AD administrative tools] profile.

Works fine, tho I logged into another workstation later that day and had the same problem - must have been the local cache of that computer with the corrupted profile. cleared it again and was fine for the rest of the day.

I think I'll create a admin user on the side as a spare ;)

Cheers

Nath.