Getting around 32-bit limitation

Falcon4

I killed the Windows default Luna theme just so I could get XPIze on this system (an Intel motherboard with integrated graphics and whatnot). Turns out the video controller doesn't do 32-bit color. I know Windows does a fine job of emulating alpha blending on the display, so why muck with forcing 32-bit down our throats even if all we want is the theme and wallpaper?

(Oh, and the shell-modifications for the new images. Pretty much everything but the programs and the icons.)

Can't the installer have a "you will only be able to install 24-bit-compatible components" exception?

Anyway, I'm gonna throw in my FX5200 just so I can get the installer to run. Grr. <_<

Not that I don't like XPIze (I <3 it), just that you force this limitation on people that really don't give an a** how bad certain components would look... >.<

My $0.02.

Edited by Falcon4

Willing to install XPize and not having 32 bit display seems incompatible to me. Without 32 bit display, XP icons look ugly, so why caring about XPize? Also, adding support for 16, 256 and 16.1 million colors will make XPize installer much bigger.

Willing to install XPize and not having 32 bit display seems incompatible to me. Without 32 bit display, XP icons look ugly, so why caring about XPize? Also, adding support for 16, 256 and 16.1 million colors will make XPize installer much bigger.

Typed up a huge post, submitted it, the server f***ing swallowed it, there's no way I'm rewriting it all.

I hacked around it using my 5200 (without drivers, even), installed XPIze (minus some features I knew wouldn't work, or I didn't want), and it looks perfect.

Only thing I've noticed is the system properties "pictures". The computer logo and the XPIze branding logo have black backgrounds. Big whoop.

Everything else, like the wizard-step images, are solid images (should be written as 24-bit bitmaps, right XPero?), with no blending necessary. They work fine.

The 32-bit XP icons blend just fine on the desktop and folders.

xpize.PNG.png

I'm pretty happy with it. It'd be nice if instead of prohibiting installation, it'd warn the user about the 24-bit condition and ask if they want to continue (like the .NET-not-installed issue, and System Restore being disabled).

I'm pretty happy with it. It'd be nice if instead of prohibiting installation, it'd warn the user about the 24-bit condition and ask if they want to continue (like the .NET-not-installed issue, and System Restore being disabled).

I did that in previous versions and got thousand of emails telling me the same problem, so I decided to cut it down drastically.