SP2.1A without fresh OS install?

Hi -- real newbie here.

Found this site doing search for info on updates/patches for Win98SE.

I have two systems running Win98SE currently and have a battery of updates/patches that I installed from a year ago when I did fresh install of win98SE on two friend's machines (not sure if they've been keeping them current as they are bigger novices than I).

Anyway, my question is how "safe" or wise is it to install SP2.1a on these machines WITHOUT doing another fresh install of Win98? It looks like there's lots of hotfixes, patches and tweaks that might be useful but I don't know what problems I might be opening up for myself with this SP. Might it be wiser to just install whatever updates MS offers through MS update and leave well enough alone ? Or are there lots of vulnerabilities that MS isn't addressing that this Unofficial SP covers?

Also, you recommend a lot of "steps" in your slipstreaming guide that it seems wouldn't apply seeing that it's isn't a fresh install (i.e. drivers, DirectX, MS Office, 98lite). And just what is 98lite and what is it's purpose? Seems like it is a tool to uninstall IE from OS? Also do you need v4.6 (which appears to be free) or 4.7 which is a "pro" paid version. Also can't figure out why you say to install critical updates after installin SP2.1a? Isn't that what's IN the SP?

Also, one of these systems uses an AMD Athlon Slot A processor and the mobo (FIC SD11) has the following chipset: NorthBridge (Host Bridge) AMD 751 and SouthBridge (ISA Bridge) VIA 686A. Will this present any problems as it's not recommended to use 4 in 1 drivers with this as I recall.

Anyway, just wanted to see if I would be biting off more than I can chew and get some feedback from those who know better than I. Thanks.

showhost

Edited by showhost

• 3 weeks later...

showhost,

it's relatively safe to install the unofficial win98se service pack, even on a win98se machine with all the third party software and hardware drivers installed on a non-fresh 98se machine. but before you actually install the service pack, disable any antivirus programs running, do a Scandisk and Defrag on your computer to fix and optimize your hard drive.

also the sp has some security fixes (like the latest msasn1.dll file from KB835732) that MS didnt bother to patch up for win98. MS is only fixing "critical" security issues for Win98 & ME systems and they wont fix security issues that are non-critical.

showhost,

it's relatively safe to install the unofficial win98se service pack, even on a win98se machine with all the third party software and hardware drivers installed on a non-fresh 98se machine. but before you actually install the service pack, disable any antivirus programs running, do a Scandisk and Defrag on your computer to fix and optimize your hard drive.

also the sp has some security fixes (like the latest msasn1.dll file from KB835732) that MS didnt bother to patch up for win98. MS is only fixing "critical" security issues for Win98 & ME systems and they wont fix security issues that are non-critical.

So you are saying that even if I have kept up with MS updates I still may not have all the patches?