Acer laptop reliability and service (in Canada)

hrcs

Hi there :)

Check my sig for the model i have btw..

I've had no real problems to speak of. Did lose my partition info at one point but managed to recover it [being a genius and all that lol ;)] but its been rock solid since last sept.

I'd say that if u are thinking of getting one, make sure u get the "3yr warranty and accidental damage" warranty for it - if its an expensive one you are interested in [just to be on the safe side].

Remember that to take a pc to be fixed - u can take it anywhere, but with a laptop, they will charge a fortune so its worth getting the additional warranty so u can take it to a authorised acer repair center.

My sister has a cheap one and had to have her HDD replaced [so the guy in pc world said]. I dont think that she needed it replaced, as a simple fresh install of windows would have done the trick, but she did fill the HDD up with stuff - as it was only a 30Gig one - so the 160GB one shes getting is probably worth it lol

Anyhow, back on track...

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that since I got it, i've run it pretty much continually since I had it - thrown many a game at it and reguarly play Final Fantasy Online on it. Lets just say it does everything I need and more - the only thing that isnt great is the video encoding - but that goes with the territory and if you arent likely to do that, then dont worry about it - a model similar to mine you'll treasure :) Look on the notebook forum link above and check out some of the discussions on the latest models to get an idea of whats hot and whats not :)

Take a look at this very handy site:

http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135

[this section is for the Acer but go to the root of the forums for lots of different makes and discussion on them]

You'll find me make a comment every now and then.

All the best.

Nath.

Edited by tarquel

The site that tarquel recommend is very good. Anytime I need to know something about a laptop, that's my first stop.

I also have a TravelMate 8104WLMi [recommend by tarquel] and I'm the happyest man in the world. This thing is really good and I use it for 5/6 hours everyday.

As for service, I heard allot of bad things about Acer. Most of them, about Acer Portugal therefor, I can't really make a honest opinion about US or Canada.

Still, if you are thinking about getting one ... go for it!!

P.S: Just dont buy those $900 ones ... I have one and it is rock solid, but you never know ... :)