SP1...safe to use again?

dcyphure

that's why is a good ideea to remove internet explorer.....

No, no, and NO! Do you have ANY idea how much of a hassle it causes for the average user if they were to remove IE from Windows? Take a second and step back from your own technical knowledge, and compare that with your average person at the local "free wireless" coffee shop. If they're running Windows XP, think about the chances that:

a ) They know about nLite

b ) They've done any sort of system modification

c ) They've got a package based security setup

d ) They care

Telling the average user (or even a more advanced user) that they should potentially cause compatibility issues on their computer is just a bad idea. The website that I need to use to log in at my university NEEDS IE. Doesn't work in Firefox, doesn't work in Opera, and doesn't work in Safari (p***es the hell out of Mac users).

Long of the short of it - it's a bad idea to suggest removing IE. There are SO many parts of Windows that you apparently don't use that rely on IE - removing it would break them and probably void a large chance of them being able to find online help (aside from the nlite forum).

yah, I dont get spyware using firefox. IE though, i'd get too much.

this was never my fault, but rather IE's cause it just blew chunks.

How come I never got spyware or adware using IE? <_<

What N1K said... <_<

That's the web site writer's fault that it requires Internet Explorer. The majority of web sites are fine with Firefox.

Also, the majority of things are fine with Internet Explorer removed. It's mostly little things here and there that are broken. Also, there's some software that will check for Internet Explorer, but that's mostly non-game applications.

Also, FOSS (free and open source) software usually never require Internet Explorer!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Befor any of you instal XP sp2 you need to for your C Hdd and reinstal Xp and make all the other updates and when you instal XP SP2 advice from the local Microsoft Office.

Huh? :blink:

I second that... HUH? :blink:

You'd probably want to install SP2... Why would SP2 be out if people still use SP1??... :wacko:

Even thought I'm an avid unix user, I use XP at work and I've had absolutely no trouble at all with SP2 :)

my advice, slipstream the service pack. nothing beats it, then you reload the comp with the slipstreamed cd. its much faster and more efficient. my dads 2ghz celeron runs like crap because the "IT" guy just installed SP2 over top. theres an IT guy at my dads work, and i seriously know more about stuff than he does. and hes the one with "university degree" o.O wtf? anyway, slipstream the cd. best thing to do. i was going to write more here, but my battery died half way through writing it >.< guess thatll tell me not to keep writing when the warning comes up. oh well, my fault. anyway, most people now adays havent a clue as to what an AV program is, and if the thing does find a virus, they clean it. and if the comp runs terribly, they dont care. its just a computer to them. people like us realize a computer is running terribly and reload it or clean it up. just common sense. anyway, back to the original post, SP1 is fine, but i highly recommend SP2. and its not true that an SP1 person will not be exploited over an SP2 person. it depends on what you do to a comp, i havent had an AV program on my computers in a long time, iv never had a virus. thats all it is. maybe 5 years now, never had one.

-brian

i agree slipstreaming is probably better, although i would think its still only doing what it would normally do if you installed it on top of sp1...someone can prove me wrong but i'm pretty sure its the same.

but so far i cant complain goin back to sp1, no driver problems and on top of that, advent rising (game) actually works now with xbox360 drivers installed and no mouse problems with oblivion...i'm quite sure itsnot as secure but then again theres only certain sites i ever go to, i dont prowl the web like many likely do