Setup cannot copy the file: xxxx

poed

Just to be sure that we're on the same level about "DOS-based installs"... I mean: boot with an MS floppy with CD support and then type something like F:\I386\winnt.exe to start the CD.

Well, first I ran Livestate as it supposedly uses a dos-type install, which resulted in the spmsg.dll copy errors,

but when triggering winnt as you describe I get 81 filecopy errors, spmsg.dll and spupdsvc.exe included...

So there are no problems using Livestate if you don't include Package Installer?

For the winnt.exe method... Open DOSNET.INF in Notepad and find the last instance of [Files]. Create a blank line below it and type this in it:

d1,disk1

Do you still get 81 copy errors then?

Edited by Tomcat76

So there are no problems using Livestate if you don't include Package Installer?

That is correct. When looking around I found two lines for each of spmsg.dll and spupdsvc.exe in txtsetup.sif;

[sourceDisksFiles]

spmsg.dll = 1,,,,,,,1000,0,0,spmsg.dll.ref

spmsg.dll = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

spuninst.exe = 1,,,,,,,1000,0,0,spuninst.exe.ref

spupdsvc.exe = 1,,,,,,,1000,0,0,spupdsvc.exe.ref

spupdsvc.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

update.exe = 1,,,,,,,1000,0,0,update.exe.ref

updspapi.dll = 1,,,,,,,1000,0,0,updspapi.dll

So if I remove the two shorter ones and use Livestate, it seems to work. It would seem like the copy occurs twice? And according to the document (below) the number 1 indicates that the file is only copied if it exists in the installation directory. Maybe a clue?

For the winnt.exe method... Open DOSNET.INF in Notepad and find the last instance of [Files]. Create a blank line below it and type this in it:

d1,disk1

Do you still get 81 copy errors then?

Yes, everything is exactly as before. (I didn't get through all 81, but the 10-15 first)

I found a document on the web, you probably already know this, but anyway...

http://gosh.msfnhosting.com/txtsetup.htm

Thanks!

Pontus

What you see in TXTSETUP.SIF is correct. Those files need to be copied into two folders.

I could use an alternate method to see if it satisfies Livestate.

Edit: try 60406a. This should work around the problem with Livestate.

Yes, everything is exactly as before. (I didn't get through all 81, but the 10-15 first)
The "10-15 first"? Edited by Tomcat76

:thumbup Whatever you did, Livestate is now happy using 60409a! Thanks!

(Just for my curiosity, I tried to install with winnt.exe as well, but the results are still the same)

With "10-15" I just meant that I didn't actually go through all 81 copyerrors, but the first bunch of them to see the pattern.

Thanks for a great job TomCat!

Now moving on to work on w2k3 server.

BR, Pontus