Help me! I've lost everything

Julia

I think I have lost all my emails.

I have Microsoft Entourage on my company Mac, and today it froze. So I closed the application and reopened it, and it came up with "Entourage can not access your data, to attempt to fix the problem rebuild your database." I tried to rebuild it and it says "rebuild failed error read and write -40. Your database has not been rebuilt and it's unlikley it can be repaired."

So tell me - is it all lost? all over? I have lost all my mail and contacts and everything???

This can't be happening.

And before you ask about back up - no it was never backed up, it only had the temp folder on my hard drive which doesn't open. Our IT guy did it this way.

Can anyone shed some light on what I could do?

Thanks,

Jules

Just some ideas you probably already thought of...

Some info you can try about this error. Details an 'advanced rebuild.' More of the same here.

No backups? Does your IT guy not like Mac users or something? Jeez. Anyway, what I would do if it were my data (I have rebuilt Outlook, it is the PC version of the same thing, that's never something I want to repeat) I'd copy the corrupte file over to a PC. Then, I'd use a program to split the file if it's big, and use a text editor to recover whatever I could from it, and start fresh.