Has anyone tried to add Windows Vista to Multiboot DVD

batson0974

Windows Vista does not apear to be an the average NT Operating System. what I mean is it does not have an I386 folder, although it does install itself basically the same way as any other NT operating system.

During the installation it does create a boot folder. How ever it contains a different Boot loader.

I wouldnt know where to begin to start modifying since Im not use to this version.

Does anyone else have any ideas

Thank you, Brooks

Vista is radically different than the current NT iterations out there....

It's different in that it's SUPPOSED to have ALL the versions of Vista on the same peice of media, and it;s the product key which tells the media to install the various components...

It's redically different because there is no DOS setup phase... While it looks like there is, that's actually a "GUI" setup mode, you can tell by the font... I if you go to the Flyakit tutorial it tells you how to integrate a version of Longhorn into it, but as for the current builds of Vista, I've not tried as it's not out yet and so I need not worry about it.... For now anyways.....

I'm sure it's possible, but it's going to be a little more tricky compared to the current multiboot standard..

I could not get ERD Commander to run according to the tutorial you can find here. What I did :

Copying the entire CD to my DVD Root folder, using MagicIso to extract the Bootsector and simply add the binary to my bootshell ...

IF Vista is your only CD copied into the root folder it should work the same way .....

The entire concept of a "multiboot" disc prohibits Vista being the only thing on your root though. What about prior operating systems such as WinXP, Win2003 that are still very much in production?

There's gotta be a way to rig this, I'm just not quite *that* technical to find it.

From several different attempts, I am unable to get Vista 5308 to boot correctly from an external bootloader module. Hopefully someone is having better luck at this than I am :(

I made one multiboot dvd with xp, 2003, and Vista 5308. To get Vista to work i just copied the entire dvd to the root of my multiboot dvd, and i don't changes any files, and it works

I made one multiboot dvd with xp, 2003, and Vista 5308. To get Vista to work i just copied the entire dvd to the root of my multiboot dvd, and i don't changes any files, and it works

What bootloader did you use?

I extract the bootfile from orginal vista with ultraiso

I'm not looking for the boot sector, I want know what boot loader you used to make a multiboot disc with. I can boot Vista images all day on their own CD, but I can't yet find a bootloader that allows me to chain-load a working Vista bootsector.

I'm not looking for the boot sector, I want know what boot loader you used to make a multiboot disc with. I can boot Vista images all day on their own CD, but I can't yet find a bootloader that allows me to chain-load a working Vista bootsector.

This is exactly what we mean with the boot sector aka boot file.

Extract it with any iso program such as magiciso or isobusterm RENAME it to something.DAT and now you can use it e.g in cdshell or bscript

vista:

cd \

chain vista.DAT

getkey

goto exit

or

if $lastKey == key[v]; then chain /vista.DAT

Edited by utw-Mephisto

Yes, that works.

and I know all of this right now is kind of pointless due to the fact that Vista probably will not be

released untill JAN of 2007. (when it was supposed to of been released in 2005) I'm basically trying to figure it out for when its released. If its not been made anymore complicated.

Like Windows XP there will be several different versions of Vista. THe multiboot ISO

I'm currently working on contains XP HOME, XP PRO, and media center, and you cannot

add all of those versions to the root of the CD.