Multi Manufacturer Pre-Activation

@xehqter

sounds nice, looks similair to something someone else here put together, i like the ini approach though, easy for updating when new oembios sets arive... now testing it thoroughly ;)

Using your method, after running "sfc.exe /scannow" does it popup the WFP to restore system files?

Edited by FreeStyler

It scans the bios (F000:0000) for a SLP string and if found disables Windows File Protection then copies the OEMBIOS files to their respective locations. I've tested it using the svcpack method and normal execution in windows.

Ah, ok...i haven't found a way to bypass wpf either :(

Another thing, you say your program scans BIOS for SLP string at F000:0000, not all manufactures have & require their SLP string at that specific address...

examples:

ASUS_FLASH:c000 - ffff
$SAMSUNGPC:e710 - e810

Futhermore, as said i really like this approach & its functionality

i know other people here are working on similair types of programs, maybe you guys should stick your heads together

Using your method, after running "sfc.exe /scannow" does it popup the WFP to restore system files?

You don't need to run SFC /SCANNOW. Simply delete one of the files out of the SYSTEM32 folder. WFP will either replace it with the one in dllcache or it will consider both bad and beg for the CD.

An easier way is to use KeyUpdateTool.EXE from Microsoft. You don't need to change the key, you only need to watch to see that the files don't fail WinTrust.

KeyUpdateTool.1.3.278.1

KeyUpdateTool.1.5.530.0

KeyUpdateTool.1.5.707.0

Current Version

I'd like to see OEMSCAN report only, and copy the files from user confirmation.

Edited by severach

hey is it possible to use debug in one line of code instead of just opening debug and getting to the - prompt...

then typeing S F000:0000 FFFF "Pavilion"

I want to do something like:

Debug S F000:0000 FFFF "Pavilion"

It doesn't seem to work that way though. :(

I want to implement this into the oembios.exe I made.

BTW is it possible to use Debug within detached program?

hey is it possible to use debug in one line of code instead of just opening debug and getting to the - prompt...

then typeing S F000:0000 FFFF "Pavilion"

I want to do something like:

Debug S F000:0000 FFFF "Pavilion"

It doesn't seem to work that way though. :(

I want to implement this into the oembios.exe I made.

BTW is it possible to use Debug within detached program?

Debug isn't scriptable but you can get around this limitation with a combination of AutoIT and redirecting stdout to a file. (I never tried this but in theory it should work.)

create a text file called cmds.txt with

S F000:0000 FFFF "OEM"
Q

then run debug < cmds.txt > output.txt

output.txt will have the matches.

I use the Windows API to read that portion of memory, but this should work too.

Edited by xehqter

create a text file called cmds.txt with

S F000:0000 FFFF "OEM"
Q

then run debug < cmds.txt > output.txt

output.txt will have the matches.

I use the Windows API to read that portion of memory, but this should work too.

I got it working now. ;) I used the stdout trick. Works well too. I am doing some tests now. I should have another release soon.

Edit 09-15-06:

I just released v0.2. I now have the program searching for the bios strings instead. I have successfully tested it on A new Dell Dimension, an old dell dimension, A new Compaq Presario, an old Compaq Presario, an Emachine, a Gateway, and an HP. all with success! :D Much thanks to Bezalel and FreeStyler!

Edited by Siginet

Type 01:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Product Name: MM061

Version: Dell Inc.

UUID : 44454C4C4A0010388044C3C04F4E4231

Type 02:

Product: 0KD882

Version:

Type 03:

Product:

Serial Number: CJ8DNB1

Asset Tag Number: Dell Inc.

Type 11:

OEM String 1: Dell System

OEM String 2: 5[0003]

OEM String 3: 13[PP12L]

debug

-S F000:0000 FFFF "Dell Inc."

F000:0044

F000:7D6A

F000:7D9F

F000:7DE7

F000:7E2E

F000:E0DE

===============

-S F000:0000 FFFF "Dell System"

F000:7F63

F000:E076

-S E000:0000 EEEE "Dell System"

E000:4000

I found an old Dell Dimension that doesn't preactivate for me. I have tried with the old method and the new method I put together with the same results. :(

Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation	  
Model: L433c
44656C6C 20436F6D 70757465 7220436F 72706F72 6174696F 6E202020 202020

SLP=Dell Computer

Debug.exe:

-S F000:0000 FFFF "Dell Computer"
F000:0EDF
F000:0FE0

With my new method it ends up finding a match and copying over the B6F0EEFD oembios.* set. Which is supposed to be correct right?

I found an old Dell Dimension that doesn't preactivate for me. I have tried with the old method and the new method I put together with the same results. :(

With my new method it ends up finding a match and copying over the B6F0EEFD oembios.* set. Which is supposed to be correct right?

Many of the old consumer Dells <1000Mhz won't preactivate. Most of the business models will. Some will preactivate only after a BIOS upgrade and a reinstall is not necesssary. Simply upgrade and boot.

I have a Dimension 4100 that never preactivates but almost the exact same model as an XPS will.

OK cool. As long as it wasn't our scripts that was the issue. That was my main concern. Thanks for the info. :D

Another question...

Is the Gateway fileset A04597C6 still needed? Since now we have a Gateway/Emachines fileset.

My question is... if A04597C6 is still needed we may need to find the best way to have it implemented since both filesets look for the string "Gateway". Is there a different area of the bios it searches for the string then the emachines fileset?

Edited by Siginet