Pacific Digital (Yamaha) 8x CD Burner Problem with XP

redcoat999

OK, So i have the Pacific Digital 8x8x24x IDE CD burner. It is the first time I have tried to burn a CD since i have upgraded to XP, and MusicMatch7.0. It locks the program up when it starts to burn, and hoses the XP system up aswell, I have to reboot as Xp won't shut the program down.

I then tried CD-Maker 2000 Professional software (that came with the drive). The first time I tried to burn a CD it worked with XP. Then I tried to burn another and the program crashses every time just as it starts the burn process.

In the past I have tried Easy CD but this would crash half-way through the burn process every time.

I have downloaded the latest firmware from Pacific Digital (which is really getting the firmware from the Yamaha site).

Any help? Thank You

Depending on the type of things your burning most will just stick with XP burning software that comes with XP and nero which hasnt had a promblem with XP. Thats your best bet. I would advise staying away from those you metioned as you already know they cause promblems with XP.

-XPerties

I uninstalled all my burner software. I also found out XP wasn't recognizing my drive as a burner. But now XP has hard crashed so many times this week from trying to burn stuff, it crapped out, well and truely. I would get a new blue screen of death at start up, and when i finally got back into Windows, not much would work at all including the Help, WMP, and IE.

So i did a reinstall of Windows (upgrade option to keep my files instead of fresh install) with my cdrw removed. At midnight last night i got XP working again.

So, the next step I see is to add the cdrw back and getting windows to recognize it as a burner, then trying the windows software to burn, and if that don't work, then i will try Nero as you suggested.

Will update when I get it working.

Well I think its a combination of the programs you are attempting to use and the ASPI layers.

Firstly, reinstall the ASPI layers from this link:

http://xp.xyu.ca/winxp/aspi.zip

This may take a few times to work, but when your drives can read CDs you know that the APSI drivers will work OK.

Next step is to and disable Microsoft's Roxio applet, right click on your CD burner and disable the CD-R writing capabilities, now go into msconfig.exe go to Services and disable IMPAI CD-ROM Burning. Restart after this and hopefully everything should still work.

The programs I recommend are Nero, www.ahead.de, Fireburner, www.fireburner.com and CloneCD, www.elby.de

aMb