New PC's..? 15 since Christmas..

Dagonet'

Mods, this is just a blog on my experiences with my search for a new PC...If it needs to be in another category go ahead and move it... Thanks :) Dag.

I've had quite an experience with my search for a new PC. I have tried Gateway, HP, Sony.

I have seen many that have a great concern in the system recovery..And although the machine has a recovery system built into it, the actual making of the disks is to say the least a joke. I utilized some 30 DVD's and CD's in an attempt to have a recovery system saved only to find out none of the disks worked. They finalized the burn process, but when I went to use them instead of the on board recovery 6 of the machines came back with errors and would not accept the disks, having Cab file concerns or data.inf concerns. Which left me calling HP numerous times and returning the machines to Best Buy, Future Shop, Costco..??

The sony was the biggest DAWG i have ever owned, Pentium D...As were all the other Dual Core chips. I have much faster machines in my Hyper Threading PC's.

The BTX technolgy i found on the Gateways, having no processor fan and a wind tunnel affect causing an air flow suction with a front and rear case fan, sounded like an airplane taking off every time it had to work abit. They also would shut down the monitor if I tried to use an extra gig of ram..(This was on three machines exchanged.) Although the ram worked fine on the HP's and Sony's I had. ?? (The ram was correct and matched the ram that was already in the machines)

HP came with so much junk on them, I tried to remove most of it, only to be warned over and over that if I removed this file I would'nt be allowed to run another file which I wanted and needed.. LOL!!

I could go on and on......(I Won't)..LOL!!

If these people are going to put out a machine to the consumer, I am a firm believer in making sure it's going to do EXACTLY WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO..!! I'll add the flavoring after.

Sooooooooo....Some 15 machines have been returned since Christmas. Unboxed. programs loaded..Reboxed, programs removed.

I finally settled for the 21" F2105...And a single core (Acer E360 Aspire) AMD Athlon64 3500+..Which in my opinion is far quicker and much more responsive than any of the Intel D class, or 64X2 Classes that I purchased. I just found them to drag their butt.

I have never in my life felt so tired of searching for something I truly dream't of and never so dissapointed in the rersults.

(By the way, the machines I have tried started at approx $1,000.00 Can and went up to $1,600 Can)...Price was not an issue, performance, reliability and peace of mind was and is.. :blink:

hmm, next time ask here for advice ;)

A very good backup solution is Acronis True Image and its a good price.

For the PC I would have suggested you build it yourself, something like i have a shuttle xpc. small, quiet and powerful.

But Im glad to hear you did find something!

hmm, next time ask here for advice ;)

A very good backup solution is Acronis True Image and its a good price.

For the PC I would have suggested you build it yourself, something like i have a shuttle xpc. small, quiet and powerful.

But Im glad to hear you did find something!

:)

Well....I don't suppose that I need to much advice on telling the manufacturers their machines are not what they claim to be. I'm actually very good at that.

Shuttle is not my interest..I have built a few PC's over the years...I actually have 2 here that are home builds, but this lil spree has been an experience to say the least, overwhelming at times... ;)

Edited by Dagonet'

WOW,very informative on what the average family in the USA would go to ,

to purchase a desktop pc (being staples ,circuit city,and best buy) and the

bloat and problems they have along with it .(crazy ) Add AOL,or People PC.

along with there new buy ,and well you no !.

I have built 8 PC's on the side ,since this month last year.

Using all AMD 64 hardware (all were gaming,and media types) all shapes

and sizes (per customer order) And the cheapest one,just for parts . (purchased from online dealers,like neweeg.com) was $1685.

Not assembled yet,and no software installed yet !

that why i will never buy a computer from an oem. i will only build.

I have bought some good equipment manufactured....I have an HP A815N in my puter line up that I am extremely happy with..Very quick lil machine..Although I also am quite happy with my not so Name Brand home growns.. ;)

I have purchased a few name brand machines (So to speak) over the past few years and have good quality. I think these companies are trying to overkill the market with the next great idea, long before the idea is even close to being great.

I often think of the uninformed consumer and how they fend this junk off, after six months of using a PC, then finding out this isn't right or that doesn,t work..Then they have a battle on their hands..??

The first word out of the store is...... Oh Did You get Our Extra Protection Package..??

Um...NO??...I actually thought HP, Gateway and Sony and whoever had their %hit together enough to not release this line of PC's onto an open market without making sure it was as user friendly as they said it was.. :whistle:

Edited by Dagonet'