GX520 now failing on RIS install ..

Was working the other day but now it starts setup then falls over saying it cannot locate a driver for the network card for a dell GX520.

Why all of a sudden would it lose where it got its driver from before..

Edited by chiners_68

Hi,

Assuming you're using RISETUP images (I can't recall if you do right now) I think you can narrow it down to one of the following:

1. You recopied the RIS files to the server but forgot to restart the BINLSVC

2. You have accidentally deleted/replaced the drivers in the i386 folder of the RIS image and now they are not present/don't work.

3. The RIS build has become corrupted and you need to delete it and recopy the files to the sever again (do you keep a mirror? ;)

4. You have added so many drivers to i386 that the client/server connection times out after the BINLSVC has been restarted whilst the server is recompiling the PNF files. Solution is to try again in this case.

There's probably something else but I can't think of it right now.

Good luck,

Andy

1. You recopied the RIS files to the server but forgot to restart the BINLSVC

The files have been there & havent been touched. 1 day it worked the next it complained of this driver issue.

2. You have accidentally deleted/replaced the drivers in the i386 folder of the RIS image and now they are not present/don't work.

Havent persoanly delete any but it dosent rule others from doing it..

3. The RIS build has become corrupted and you need to delete it and recopy the files to the sever again (do you keep a mirror?

Possibly Currupt so i have rebuilt with risult & copied back to the server. have restarted the service too.

4. You have added so many drivers to i386 that the client/server connection times out after the BINLSVC has been restarted whilst the server is recompiling the PNF files. Solution is to try again in this case.

i havent added drivers but lets hopethe rebuild with risult sorts it..

thanks for your ideas here.. As I said ill rebuild & try & let you know if its working..

What driver is it? I have seen similar things happens where one upgrade the RIS box for example to SP1 for Windows 2003, and earlier working .inf files does not work anymore due to the fact that post SP1 parses .inf diffrently than before.... then the solution is to hax the .inf.

right. the b57*.sys file was in the i386 directory... & no other b57* files... i have now added the inf,dnf & cat files for this driver & its working again.

i cant work out how it worked before if these files didnt exist in that directory. i have checked my original souce i386 for RISULT & only the sys file was there so its not the files being deleted.

its baffled me how it worked before, id like to find out why it did work & stop but its not to important as its working now..

do you have to manually add the drivers for lan to i386 or should bts extract them to their? or are bts drivers only for windows & not the dos side of the install?

BTS is planning to add RIS support, including extra NIC drivers, into his next gen slipstreamer. I included auto integration of NIC drivers in AutoRIS. If you like you can simply grab the drivers from there and add them in as you see fit.