Best/Any working 5308 AntiVirus solution?

xgman

Avast will run kinda, but I was having problems with the shields locking up the OS, so i guess they are still working on it. They are supposed to have a beta by the end of March early April from what I hear. In the mean time no downloading pr0n

Avast will run kinda, but I was having problems with the shields locking up the OS, so i guess they are still working on it. They are supposed to have a beta by the end of March early April from what I hear. In the mean time no downloading pr0n

I had Avast installed on Vista 5308, and i had no problem with it.

not so nessecarily a waster, for corperate is is nice to see how beta versions of AV that they use now will work in there current environment and what changes they have made, allows them to see bugs coming and such, also allows for input to the AV companies on things that they would like to see in the next version, just like with MS betas. :)

@xgman

sadly i do not have one yet got the program from my manager, i can check with him to see what kind of deal we have going on with mcafee on it though

No it still to early to worry about Anti Virus, as this is still a beta 1 if it was beta 2 I might agree. Beta 1 they are still trying to get out the main bugs in the builds code, beta 2 the code is more stable, or that is the theroy.

On the first release of Vista Beta I could install Alcohol 120 but on later builds it does not install.

PSP9 on 5270 I could not get it to work I could install it then when I tried to open it it did not work on this build it works, and builds before 5270 PSP9 worked.

Now since anti virus is a software we can assume that it may have some problems like the above. On some builds it may worked and on others it wont work.

you are right there, many things are still changing but on the same note 5308 is now feature complete so we should just be seeing bug fixes and the like, on the same note with all these changes AV companies have alot to change with too, they have to build an new AV agent for based on a beta product, so there programs may or maynot work but by testing them you can get feedbacl to those companies to help them get them working on vista. not that nessicarly that you need AV to prevent against virii and such but more to get it working/runnning smoothly with vista itself. Providing different environment and the like for AV companies to get experience and input from will help them plan and avoid headaches in future builds, again GSM you are right, installing a AV just to deal with viruses doesn't serve much purpose but to help the development of those AV products is another case

I agree with this :thumbup

to help the development of those AV products is another case

Vista 5308 maybe feature complete, that does not mean it code completed. UAP is not completed, some people are having network problems these may also affect the way software interacts with Vista. As any fixes in the code may affect other areas. That why I say when it Beta 2 then maybe it would be better to run a AV as the code is more completed.

Vista 5308 maybe feature complete, that does not mean it code completed.

defiantly agree with you here, it would be better to wait for beta 2 to deal with a more reliable and less bug ridden code, but i know alot of early adopters and such will be testing it as soon they can to get the most jump on implementation. I know we have a test domain for vista/longhorn and test the mcafee vista AV agent there, because eventually when we ahve to migrate 4000+ pcs to vista, we want to have as much advanced time working with it to knock as many bugs/problems that we can out of it, not to mention just to have the face time with the programs to see how they act/react. but i will agree, for most people an AV makes little sense, it is a beta anyway blow it away and reinstall if it gets mucked up B)

The only AntiVirus you'll find that should be able to work on Vista is Symantec Antivirus 2005. It's mediocre at best and you're better off just using a write filter. You will not find a decent Antivirus that will work on Vista. This is the critical flaw of the entire NT6 platform and the reason I refuse to move to it.

The only AntiVirus you'll find that should be able to work on Vista is Symantec Antivirus 2005. It's mediocre at best and you're better off just using a write filter. You will not find a decent Antivirus that will work on Vista. This is the critical flaw of the entire NT6 platform and the reason I refuse to move to it.

This is Beta 1 and it is not even finished yet, if you took the time to read what fizban2 and I have discuss,

you would know we both agree at this point AV just do not work correct yet. The code for this is not finished.

So why would you expect it not to change as the build matures. Your statement does not make sence. If this was the final build and it was completed your statement would make sence.

sence indeed, also remeber alot of things were rewritten TCP/IP comes to mind and the way that hooks are placed, not so much an issue with AV as it is with firewall software but for scanning mapped drives and across computers it makes for a problem. now why do you consider that it is a critical flaw that no currently running AV will run on vista? i would think this means the MS is trying to revamp things and make them better (hopefully) which means that AV groups will have to rewrite their code to work with vista in the process making it better,

anywho just for kicks

Symantec AV Vista Client

Mcafee AV Vista Client