Moving docs&settings

yes this can be done.. it will not overwrite ur files so dont worry..

just add this line to your winnt.sif & change the dir..

[GuiUnattended]
ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings\"

btw, nlite can do that trick

Edited by slimzky

One down, one to go...

If your predesignated users match those already in the Documents and Settings folder, Windows will automatically add an extension to the new ones. None of the data will be erased or overwritten, though the usernames will differ from your actual intent.

Windows will automatically add an extension to the new ones...

...the usernames will differ from your actual intent.

Yes. And that sucks.

Actually, I don't see any better solution than the one in the 1st post if you just want to have your new installation re-using SOME docs&settings from the previous one without messing the usernames.

Heh...it's a tradeoff. Good news=no loss of data. Bad news=the chore of cleaning up user accounts. I usually back up the data & format the drive, or move the files to a temporary account & delete the original users. Either way is kind of clumsy, though no more so than the Files and Settings Wizard.

I haven't done it yet so I don't know if it will work entirely, but my first try will be brute force: xcopy from the backup to the profile. I may also try the poshier Robocopy. But I must gain education about usage first.

I completely agree with Lazy8 about the tradeoff. It's just a sucking manichean tradeoff! And I must also agree about the Files and Settings Wizard.