[Question] Windows 2000

I recently created a new image that requires an autologin. I made the appropiate changes as directed online and then syspreped the machine and ghosted it. When I deployed the image to test it. I am being prompted for a user name.Please see below for teh instructions I followed.

Start Regedt32.exe and locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

2. Establish your domain name, account name, and password, using the values you would normally type when logging on. You should assign the following values: DefaultDomainName, DefaultUserName, and DefaultPassword.

NOTE: The DefaultDomainName and DefaultUserName values may already exist. The DefaultPassword value may not. If it does not, create it. To do so: a. On the Edit menu, click Add Value.

b. In the Value Name box, type DefaultPassword.

c. In the Data Type box, click REG_SZ.

d. Click OK.

e. In the String Editor box, type your password. Click OK and save your changes.

NOTE: If no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon key from 1 (true) to 0 (false). This disables the AutoAdminLogon feature. This behavior also occurs if the DefaultPassword string is specified but the password is left blank or null.

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value. Type AutoAdminLogon in the Value Name box. Click REG_SZ in the Data Type box. Enter 1 in the String box. Save your changes.

4. Quit Regedt32.exe.

5. Shut down Windows and turn off the computer.

6. Restart your computer and Windows 2000. You should be able to log on automatically now.

Note that this setting only applies to the first logon. To enforce this setting for subsequent logoffs, the administrator must configure the following setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value: ForceAutoLogon

Type: REG_SZ

Data: 1

You can add autologon settings to your sysprep answer file - it's in the help file.

This is exactly what the deploy.chm file says

AutoLogon

After the unattended setup is complete you can cause the freshly installed system to automatically log in as the Administrator.

Enabling AutoLogon prevents network printers from being installed for a domain user's account. Instead, the system processes the GuiRunOnce key while logged on as Administrator. If you install network printers, AutoLogon should not be enabled.

I however require to logon as a user everytime the machine starts. Is there a way I can add something to the GuiRunOnce key to cause this to happen?

Ok so the GuiRunOnce import worked however the machine is not automatically logging on. It comes up after the reboot and prompts you to logon as the administrator. I logon as administrator and it appears to process the GuiRunOnce key in the registry. After the reboot its back awaiting a logon again however this time instead of waiting for the administrator password its waiting for the user password to be entered.