Silently configuring a printer

Hi,

I am currently installing a number of the same printer in my XP deployment. I am using the following:

cscript c:\windows\system32\prnport.vbs -a -r "ricoh2090-3079.someplace.co.uk" -h "ricoh2090-3112.someplace.co.uk" -o raw -n 9100 //nologo

to create a port and

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /if /u /b "2090-3079" /f "C:\DRIVERS\PRINTERS\2090\RC19E12K.inf" /r "ricoh2090-3079.someplace.co.uk" /m "RICOH Aficio 2090 RPCS"

to create a printer entry connecting to the port. Because of software I'm using it has to be done this way.

Only problem is it's set to it's defaults, which aren't very good at all for this printer. So I'm looking for a way to adjust both the default printer properties (ie spooling etc) and printer preferences (ie default printer tray, etc.) without intervention. Can anyone help with this? I've looked for months to no avail.

Thanks

Tom Mann

Hi,

you can save/restore your printer's config using:

(to save the config)

rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /Ss /n "Your_Printer's_Name" /a "<path_to>\<filename>.dat" g u m

(and to restore it)

rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /Sr /n "Your_Printer's_Name" /a "<path_to>\<filename>.dat" g u m

You may have to play around with the options (g u m in the above example), but you can get an idea if you type in a command prompt

rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?

Another option would be to use the printmig tool provided by microsoft. (get it here)

:)

CF

[Edit]

Fixed the command after mrguitarmann's comment.

Edited by cancerface