Setup Windows 2003 Server with Public IP keeps shutting down

Hi all, I have a problem regarding my setup of 2003 server. I setup 2003 server and used a public IP directly connected to the Internet because I'm planning to register my domain name and that IP. but the problem is, It keeps shutting down with an error on the lsass.exe and gives a countdown of shutting down in 60 seconds. I hit shutdown -a and it stops but the RPC and other services are stopped even the administrative tools applets like users and groups and other services of the server even the start menu and shutting down is not working. I have to restart the computer by pressing the button. I pretty much reformatted the PC and re-installed the 2003 server and after supplying the public IP in the TCP/IP configuration, it gives the error again with the countdown of 60 seconds. Could it be sasser or blaster? Pls help me how to stop this error coz its so tiring to re-install everything. Thanks very much.

Use a firewall! You're being attacked by the dreaded Sasser virus or another internet virus!

A virus is causing LSASS.EXE and RPC to crash. Because of a security flaw bug in LSASS and RPC!

This is why Windows 2000 and later sucks without a firewall! :realmad:

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Take it from an old dog :D when it comes to OS installs:

Install Windows Server 2003 on a freshly formatted partition.

Disconnect everything except monitor mouse and keyboard while running setup.

Disconnect the network cable especially. :yes:

Install all updates, patches and security fixes (including Server 2003 R2).

Install and configure Antivirus and firewall and reboot several times for good measure. B)

THEN connect the system to the Internet and see if it gives you problems.

The system MUST be locked down, secured, patched and innoculated before ANY network connection is made, otherwise you should count on catching something nasty from the Internet.

That's how I do it, and it always works for me.

Oh yeah - are you using nLite to make a customized install CD? Nuhi Rocks.

Best wishes on your server installation. And yes, your shutdown issues sound a LOT like Blaster, so get that system locked down BEFORE connecting to the web.

Thanks so much guys for the advice. It's very tiring to reinstall it infact I did it 3 times already lol. :D It's ok though atleast I had advices from you. Can you suggest me a good firewall or antivirus so I can evaluate? Then request to buy it later. Thanks...thanks...thanks... :D

Why do you need the server to have the public IP address?

Please use a HARDWARE firewall and use NAT to hide the server, giving it a private IP address.

If your server has a service which needs to be accessible from the outside then use specific port forwarding to the server.

Even a basic home broadband router will provide a little protection by default, so long as you only set up the port forwarders that you need and nothing else.

I really hope you are not setting up a domain controller and putting it in a dirty network!

You should never, ever, ever need to have a public IP address directly on a server.

Read up on the concept of a DMZ, and put only the services which NEED to accept connections from the Internet into it (such as IIS or an SMTP service).

I remembered getting the Blaster virus before, even with 56k. Back in November, 2003, One evening, I was out of the house then when I came back, saw that Windows had rebooted. Then what do you know, I saw "msblast.exe" on my HDD! That was just because I forgot to install a firewall before connecting to the internet!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP