Four Gigabyte Installation Source Barrier?

I'm creating a Media Center Edition 2005 unattended DVD. Just the other night I added some rather large applications like Adobe Creative Suite and Macromedia Studio MX. The install source was just over four gigabytes in size.

Much to my dismay, I could not start Windows Setup in a virtual machine. I kept getting an error on line one of txtsetup.sif. I recreated the ISO and tried again, same thing. I burned to a DVD and booted with my computer - same thing.

I discovered that there's a 4 gigabyte (4096 MB to be exact) barrier for CD/DVD based installations. I took out OneNote and Studio MX and my DVD happily installed Windows for me.

I just thought I'd pass this tidbit along. I searched the forums and didn't find any other mentions of this condition.

So much for filling up that DVD9 with your favorite apps.

I've been filling up a DVD9 for months now. It works just fine provided you're creating the ISO image properly. What are you using to create your image?

While it's not free, I've been using UltraISO for years now. I guess I'm sort of stuck in my ways. Anyhow, there's a couple of options in there you need to have NOT checked. One in particular is "Add Joliet volume as needed." I won't pretend to know what that or most of the other options mean, but after a ton of trial and error, I seem to have the settings down to where I can make these dual layer DVDs.

I've asked this on MSFN before and I'll ask again - has anyone found a detailed and definitive resource where all of this stuff is explained?

i'm so happy that someone else has come across this problem too! i am using nlite to create my dvd and once i put any big applications in oem folder (i.e. it totals over 4/4.5GB) i get stuck on "setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" when installing windows. she wont go any further after that. has anyone had any success with this?

well to be honest i should have been more clear - i was specifically talking about using nlite. but i think we'd all like a guide on how to do it. i'm currently downloading a free trial of ultra iso and at $30 i'd consider buying it if i thought it would help

if you dont mind me asking, where do you get your boot image from, so as to make your dvd bootable? i've added the same contents (bar the boot file) and created an iso with ultraiso, but i cannot create a BOOTABLE dvd because it needs a bootable image. i tried using the image from my windows cd but i get the same result when i try to use my new image...it hangs at the same screen. thanks for your help by the way

I'm creating a Media Center Edition 2005 unattended DVD. Just the other night I added some rather large applications like Adobe Creative Suite and Macromedia Studio MX. The install source was just over four gigabytes in size.

Much to my dismay, I could not start Windows Setup in a virtual machine. I kept getting an error on line one of txtsetup.sif. I recreated the ISO and tried again, same thing. I burned to a DVD and booted with my computer - same thing.

I discovered that there's a 4 gigabyte (4096 MB to be exact) barrier for CD/DVD based installations. I took out OneNote and Studio MX and my DVD happily installed Windows for me.

I just thought I'd pass this tidbit along. I searched the forums and didn't find any other mentions of this condition.

So much for filling up that DVD9 with your favorite apps.

I get the same thing with a 4.1G bootable DVD+RW. My iso's are created using nlite 1.0rc7 which, in turn, uses makeiso.exe. If I replace makeiso with cdimage the problem is gone and the DVD boots correctly but all DVD folder names are upper case and all of everything is dated 2002; including absolutely everything after install on the HDD's.

Check this out-this page and a few prior-http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140&st=540

Edited by RickSteele

Don't know if this applies, but I ran into a problem backing up my image files over 4gb.

My burning software would not let me do it.

I found that due to ISO9660 restrictions, you cannot use a file which is more than 4GB.

So I switched my settings from ISO9660 to UDF 1.02 and everything burned fine.

Interesting replies.

I used Nero 6 to burn the image and my boot sector was ripped from an original Windows XP SP0 CD.

The problem as I see it is that Windows can't handle copying more than 4 GB from a DVD. It chokes on the first line of txtsetup.sif (the very beginning of the file copy process). There is absolutely no data on line one of txtsetup.sif. Weird.

RickSteele,

could you please explain how you replace makeiso with cdimage using nlite? i would greatly appreciate the ability to do this. is it an inbuilt option (which i havent come across) or a matter of copying cdimage to the nlite directory and renaming it to makeiso.exe or something like that (incidentally i tried and it didnt work for me)

Everyone Else,

Thank you guys so much for your help with this matter. It is very much appreciated

Interesting replies.

I used Nero 6 to burn the image and my boot sector was ripped from an original Windows XP SP0 CD.

The problem as I see it is that Windows can't handle copying more than 4 GB from a DVD. It chokes on the first line of txtsetup.sif (the very beginning of the file copy process). There is absolutely no data on line one of txtsetup.sif. Weird.

Which Line 1?....I use EditPadPro as Notepad and both from the systems Line 1 and Notepad's line 1 the contents are identicle to the downsized version....I've attached my txtsetup.sif just for reference....this is from the DVD that failed.

RickSteele,

could you please explain how you replace makeiso with cdimage using nlite? i would greatly appreciate the ability to do this. is it an inbuilt option (which i havent come across) or a matter of copying cdimage to the nlite directory and renaming it to makeiso.exe or something like that (incidentally i tried and it didnt work for me)

Everyone Else,

Thank you guys so much for your help with this matter. It is very much appreciated

Simply replace makeiso with cdimage in the nlite folder and make the iso-nlite does not care what it uses.

Edited by RickSteele