Adding Wireless WPA password during install?

Do you have a link to a comprehensive list of the rundll32 command lines?

Maybe not comprehensive but jdoe just pointed us to a nice list albeigt a german list in this post.

Read also my following post for less hassle if you don't speak german.

So what if I need to set up 2 wireless networks? I have a WPA2-PSK network at home and my university has a standard WEP network on campus. Any way I can add both with any of these?

That's actually something I'm working into my script now. Essentially you would put all of the information into an .ini file for up to five (5) different wireless networks. The script would loop through for every entry it finds. The one thing that's bothering me is the (in)security of having that information in a plain text file for all to see.

I also started to make an hta application similar to my user name / computer name hta, but then it dawned on me how lame that is when you could just initiate the wizard itself and get something a bit more polished.

True indeed. Part of what I'm doing with my script pack is to keep the source open. The other problem with compiling an AutoIt script is allowing other people to use the script. I wouldn't want to expect people to have to compile a script everytime they make up a source.

What I may do is devise a very very simple encryption scheme. Something that would merely thwart the casual observer. This way if someone stumbled upon your CD/DVD, they would have to figure out that there's some kind of encryption to begin with and then go through the hassle of cracking it. It would be analogous to locking your car door in that you're keeping honest people honest. To get much more involved would defeat the simplicity of the scripts and probably discourage people from encrypting anything.

So what if I need to set up 2 wireless networks? I have a WPA2-PSK network at home and my university has a standard WEP network on campus. Any way I can add both with any of these?

@Ryan, just run AutoWEP again with your second set of parameters (SSID and key).

Do it for as much networks you want to log to. (You don't need any ini file anymore with the last version):

AutoWEP.exe mySSID1 myKEY1 [WPA]
AutoWEP.exe mySSID2 myKEY2 [WPA]

I wonder if we can make it simpler. Maybe automatic recognition of the key type to get rid of the optional last parameter...

If you don't want to have your keys in plain text in your RunOnceEx.cmd or wherever, THEN use ini files BUT let those ini files on a [removable] drive (floppy, usb, partition, share, whatever) from where they can be deleted after the install is finnished.

Just provide the full path of the ini files to AutoWEP:

AutoWEP.exe F:\whateverpath\myNetwork1.ini
AutoWEP.exe F:\whateverpath\myNetwork2.ini

Or even better, have only a batch with the above command lines (AutoWEP.exe mySSID1 myKEY1 ...) on the removable drive.

Edited by Djé

Pardon my ignorance, but does the WPA parameter also cover WPA2-PSK?

Well, I never heared of that WPA2-PSK (I live in the country side and don't have TV, so pardon my ignorance ;)) but you can check it by yourself:

our tools are just AutoIt scripts to automate the windows' wireless network configuration wizard (start menu/programs/accessories/communications or directly: rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL NetSetup.cpl,@0,WNSW)

The WPA seting is just for ticking the "Use WPA instead of WEP..." checkbox in the wizard page where you input your SSID. So if ticking that box in the wizard works for your WPA2-PSK then the WPA parameter will. Please try it and let us know.

The wizard is pretty primitive (no choice between WPA and WPA2-PSK) but maybe the WPS behind can sort out what is what since the later would be just another flavor of the former. I don't know.

• 1 month later...

RyanVM, I'm trying to figure out how to enable support for WPA2-PSK as well. Specifically, I need to set AES encryption rather than TKIP. Have you had any luck with this?

Edited by nitro322