Topic Rating

Aegis

I don't think it's a good idea. So far, I haven't really seen it put to good use. I've seen many topics with a 1-star rating when it contained useful information, probably because a single person rated it and didn't have the technical background to grasp the usefulness of the information. I've also seen even more 5-star topics that had the poster rate it, simply because it was his/her's topic. More recently, I've noticed many people who supported my competitor's project (MicroWinX) rate my project down before they even read everything. Therefore, I'm requesting that either Martin L or xper remove this "feature".

I've never rated a topic but I do notice what a topic has been rated. I don't use the rating in any form or fasion to determine the strength or weakness of a topic. I use it to see if I can guess who rated it high or low. Just a useless mental game. I never win.

My interest in a topic is obviously what is in the title and description followed by the number of responses and pages a topic gets. So, I have read through some of your topic Aegis and come back to it numerous times as it grows as I do your 'competitor's'.

The only time I would put any credence in a rating is if I knew who had rated it and I held that persons opinion in high regard. That would be a lot of people here but it is the only way I could give it any value.

DL

I think it's useful in places like the Funny Farm, where you can rate jokes and such. But usually in the Windows XP forums, there's no use for it...since no one really asks stupid questions. Anyway, seems the admins agree with me :).

Another vote for removing the rating feature. There is no accountability or true usefulness since anyone can rate a thread anonymously. Perhaps it would be more useful if the thread tracked who gave it a rating...similar to how the poll votes are tracked.

Edited by TAiN