[Help] XP Keeps Freeznig

smoore99

Every now and again my computer frezzes upon start-up, when it loads properly i get the following error in event viwer under system, these are the errors i get:

post-41879-1141561444_thumb.jpg

post-41879-1141561453_thumb.jpg

Can anyone explain why these errors occur and how to stop this happening, it is really annoying.

Thanks in advance

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

Please follow XP Forum Rules from now on.

--Sonic

Well, event ID 7000's usually mean that a service didn't respond to the Service Control Manager in a timely fashion, or the service reported an error at one of it's checkpoints during boot. Since these both seem to be related to a USB controller, I'd strongly recommend removing and reinstalling the drivers for this device, preferrably the latest WHQL drivers for this device if they exist.

I found out the problem lies in the adildr.sys file which is part of the drivers for my Sagem modem.

When I uninstall the modem and re-install it (with the newest software) everything works fine for a while then this file causes the computer to freeze again.

Anybody knows how to stop this happening?

For Sagem modem, which I also have (F@st 800 840), I found a long time ago (September 2003) on a French site, a fix is to change the start for the service from automatic to manual. As it does not appear in services.msc, you need to manually edit the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\ADILOADER] <---- service that starts adildr.sys

"Start"=dword:00000002 <----- automatic

change to 3 for manual.

You should no longer get the messages, and the modem functions normally.

According to one poster there, adildr.sys driver seems to be important only just after you plug-in fast 800 modem and is required only for proper hardware recognition. So if you unplug the modem, you may need to start the service before you plug it back in (not sure, I always keep mine plogged in).

Edited by JRosenfeld

are you using xp sp2 usb 2.0 drivers?

or ones found on the driver cd ? (made for sp1 ...)

Yes I am using the XP SP2 usb 2.0 drivers

When it's frozen, can you ping the machine from another machine?

Also, if you press the numlock key, does the numlock light go on and off?

Umm didn't think of doing that, I'll try that when it next freezes, which hopefully doesn’t happen.

For Sagem modem, which I also have (F@st 800 840), I found a long time ago (September 2003) on a French site, a fix is to change the start for the service from automatic to manual. As it does not appear in services.msc, you need to manually edit the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\ADILOADER] <---- service that starts adildr.sys

"Start"=dword:00000002 <----- automatic

change to 3 for manual.

You should no longer get the messages, and the modem functions normally.

According to one poster there, adildr.sys driver seems to be important only just after you plug-in fast 800 modem and is required only for proper hardware recognition. So if you unplug the modem, you may need to start the service before you plug it back in (not sure, I always keep mine plogged in).

Well I changed the registry as you said, hopefully this does the trick.

Cheers mate

Edited by smoore99