Computer reboot?

matrix0978

This could be in the wrong forum, if so please move. But my dad's business partner built my dad this PC in one of those small box cases running windows 2000 SP4. Now my dad/I will be using it doing any type of stuff, and it will randomly reboot. My first thought was, is there enough power? But if there wasnt enough power it would stay off. Or could this be a software problem?

But since everything is in such a small space in that small box case, could it be over heating? Or could the CPU not be getting enough cooling? Because everythings so compact.

Thanks,

Ma TriX ;)

Edited by matrix0978

Two things...

1. Make sure Error Reporting is on. To do this right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Go to the Advanced tab, then click on the Error Reporting button at the bottom. Make sure Enable error reporting is selected and both Windows operating system and Programs are checked. Sometimes it'll popup the Error Reporting wizard after the system restarts...just let it do it's thing.

2. Make sure that Automatically Restart is off under Startup and Recovery. Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Go to the Advanced Tab and click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. The Automatically restart option is right in the middle of the dialog box. You laptop may be blue screening but with this option checked you'll never see what's causing the blue screen. If it does blue screen...take note of what the screen says and post that back here.

EDIT: Woops...just noticed this was Windows 2000. Ignore the first item...Error Reporting doesn't exist on Windows 2000.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

This could be a hardware problem, but it would be good to know if this is indeed a reboot, or if this is a bugcheck that isn't being reported due to the automatic reboot. I strongly suggest following mmX's advice and configure the machine accordingly.

This could be a hardware problem, but it would be good to know if this is indeed a reboot, or if this is a bugcheck that isn't being reported due to the automatic reboot. I strongly suggest following mmX's advice and configure the machine accordingly.

With the automatic reboot, the crashes are probably still being logged. Look for a "Save Dump" entry in the System event log.

Windows can still boot if there's not enough power. But then crash randomly.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP