Auto install all drivers from pack within XP, possible?

k0jaK

After experimenting with some unattended XP setups I found that actually it not that nice at all to have all software and drivers installed on the fly. Most of the times you want to customize the setup a bit and new versions of drivers and applications are released on a daily basis. For software I found it's most productive to just have a DVD with all the latest unattended setups on it(like pffice 2003 saves you a lot of time doing unattended), could still use someting like autoit but even that I think takes too much time updating all the time...

So what would seem extremely nice to me is if the drivers from the driverpacks could somehow be automatically installed on an allready running XP setup.

If that isnt possible, how could we make it easier to find the proper driver from within the extracted driverpacks when installing hardware manually from within device manager?

As I understand if you point XP to a certain folder it checks some kinda ID to verify if it's the correct driver for that hardware, so it should be possible right?

Look here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=456423

It won't automatically update the drivers, but they'll be available by default so Windows will use the latest driver if you Uninstall or Update each device from within Device Manager and reboot. The latest driver within the DriverPacks will then be used without having to point Windows to the proper driver.

I don't think it will be all that easy to automate the update process beyond that.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=66390

Edited by 5eraph

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe set CDROM=%%i:
IF EXIST %CDROM%\OEM\bin\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe (
%CDROM%\OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe %CDROM%\Drivers
START %CDROM%\OEM\bin\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
%CDROM%\OEM\bin\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe %CDROM%\Drivers
TASKKILL /F /IM WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
) ELSE (
%CDROM%\OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe %SystemRoot%\Inf
)
%CDROM%\OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe %SystemRoot%\Inf

I think that will work.

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

Thanks 5eraph! That sounds pretty good! Will plug and play work for hardware contained in the driverpacks that way? (Still have to try it out when I reinstall xp today)

@Dumpy Dooby

Could you explain that a bit firther? Like how this it work and what does it do?

Thanks

Certainly.

The first line detects your CD drive by looking for the file SetDevicePath.exe in the \OEM\Bin\ directory.

The second line checks to see if SetupCopyOEMInf.exe exists in that same directory.

The third line tells Windows to search in \Drivers\ on your CD drive.

The fourth line allows unsigned drivers to be installed.

The fifth line copies all of the INF files that are found in the \Drivers\ directory to your %WinDir%\Inf\ directory.

The sixth line disables unsigned drivers from being installed.

The rest just tells Windows to start looking in %WinDir%\Inf for drivers.

The only problem is, however, when you run this, you aren't copying over any of the exes or anything that some of the drivers require. ATI drivers probably wouldn't work, same goes for RealTek. I use the above method for installing RealTek drivers onto customers' computers, but my script extracts them and copies the .exes accordingly.

Thanks Dumpy Dooby, very usefull!

It would be nice actually if Bâshrat the Sneaky would include some scripts etc. that would make his packs suitable for using on allready setup XP systems.