win2003 standard edition x64

r6su

Tnx....I tried both ways and they helped me. But I have bigger broblem here.....I have old server running NT4.0 and new server running WIN 2003 Server Standard Edition X64. I want to transfer user accounts from old server into the new one. I understand that MS, our god, don't offer compability between these two OS. So I did this......I installed another NT 4.0 to test PC and told him to play packup role. With this movement, I had user accounts whitch I can damage with no harm. Then I disconnected those two machines and told to packup server to play primari domain controller role. Then I upgraded NT4.0 on the test PC to Win Server 2000 and upgraded OS again to Win2003 Server Standard Edition. Now I have user accounts in 2003, but they are in my test PC. I'd like to transfer them into my new server running WIN 2003 Server Standard Edition X64, but I dont know how to do this. I tried to to this like I did with NT4.0, but no success-I told to new server to play packup role and he did. User accounts are in new server, but if I told him to play primary role, then he shouting, that he can't find accounts. Can anyone explain me how to do this right?

Edited by r6su

What the heck do you mean? An Active directory upgrade or just a single machine upgrade? There is NO way to transfer user accounts from one machine to another, be it XP or NT.

I upgraded OS from NT4.0 to 2000 server and 2000 server to 2003 server. upgrade dont affect active directory and user accounts.

R6su,

use the active directory migration tool to migrate the user account from the old domain to the new one. I am basing this on that the new 2003 machine you have is in a new domain/ new AD. if so you should be able to create a trust between the 2 domain, your old NT 4.0 that was upgraded to 2003 and the new 2003 x64 machine,

you can use the Active Directory Migration Tool to do this, courtesy of MS

Overview

The Active Directory Migration Tool version 3 (ADMT v3) simplifies the process of restructuring your operating environment to meet the needs of your organization. You can use ADMT v3 to migrate users, groups, and computers from Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0 domains to Active Directory® directory service domains; between Active Directory domains in different forests (interforest migration); and between Active Directory domains in the same forest (intraforest migration). ADMT v3 also performs security translation from Windows NT 4.0 domains to Active Directory domains and between Active Directory domains in different forests.

ADMT 3.0

I understand that MS, our god, don't offer compability between these two OS.
the ADMT tool will allow for migration from NT to 2003 also, so if you wanted to bring your PDC from your NT 4.0 domain back online and work off of that machine you could do that also.