[Error] Applications fail to install properly, can't delete files

quinriva

I seem to be having a whole array of problems, so I'll try to list them as best as I can.

Firstly, it should be noted that these problems occur on fresh installs of both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (both nlited).

The main trouble that I am having, is that upon installing various games (Quake 4, Call of Duty 2) I cannot play them, because from what I have thus far determined is that all of the installed files cannot be overwritten. Both games are iso's that were loaded through Daemon Tools v4.03 and then installed. I also know that the .iso's are not corrupt as I have used them both before. I thought that there may have been some problem with Daemon Tools v4.03 so I unistalled it, and tried v3.47 but to no avail.

When I attempt to delete any of the installed files I am presented with the following message:

Cannot delete filename: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

So this is what I tried:

• Unistall Quake 4 - Successfully removes all files
  • Attempt to change the name of any file - no problem
  • Attempt to delete file in windows - Access denied
  • Attempt to delete file through command line - no problem
  • Attempt to delete folder that originally contained the files (fold is now empty) - access denied
  • Reinstall windows and attempt to delete files - access denied

I originally had some other problems but I believe that they were related to Win2003 as they have not occured in XP, but I'll list them anyway.

Alls installshield install files (nVidia drivers installer, marvell drivers installer, etc.) failed, citing errors of -6008 and 1607

CD Autorun failed listing some weird error, but the autorun process did not end

.msi installer processes did not end.

Oh and upon reinstalling one of the copies of XP, it decide that all the files on one of my drives (not the system drive) were corrupt and decided to delete all the indexes, and something called orphan files (whatever they are). I promptly powered off the machine as I could find no other way to cancel it. Reinstalling Win2003 reinserted all of the indexes from $0 &$I as well as all the orphan files (althogh 1 minute of deleting took 8 hours to reinsert). But as far as I can tell, all the files that were corrupted by deleting the indexes have now been fixed.

I have used nLite a number of times (although older versions), and have never had these problems so I don't thing that it is a problem with the fact that Windows has been nLited. For reference I used nlite RC6, to create 3 Windows Server 2003 discs and 1 Windows XP disc, and I also used and older Win2003 CD that I had lying around, each disc had a slightly different variation. I also used an original Win2003 disc, but that is where I encountered many of the other errors and I didn't even get as far as installing Daemon Tools before I dumped that idea.

I've just bought a new computer so I'm quite frustrated that I can't use it until I get these issues resolved.

My current system is as follows:

XFX GeForce 7800GT

AMD Opteron 165

2x512Mb Corsair XMS Pro

DFI LanParty UT SLi-DR Expert

Various Seagate Hard drives (7200.8 250Gb, 7200.7 160 Gb x2, etc.)

So I have no idea what's wrong but to recap:

• It could be something to do with Daemon tools, but I doubt it
  • It's probably something to do with nlite but I have no idea what it could possibly be
  • I don't think that it is related to win2003 or winxp

So, some help would be good. I've installed windows 12 times in the past 2 days.

PS. I forgot to format, oops. I'll fix it tomorrow

Edited by quinriva

Yeh, I wasn't quite sure about that. I think it might be a problem with nlite, but given that I am using quite a few new things it could just as easily be a hardware issue, a daemon tools issue or an issue with winxp. I really don't see how it could be an nlite issue as I am quite familiar with nlite and I can't think of anything I could of done there that would result in these sorts of errors, but then the other options are probably even less likely.

I decided to put it here because it really is an issue with windows which may or may not be caused by nlite (or Daemon tools for that matter). So if it is unrelated to nlite, then there wouldn't be much chance of putting it in that forum?

I found another problem. I downloaded some nVidia nforce drivers and saved them onto E: drive (the partition with all my files, i.e. not the windows partition) and I installed the drivers without any trouble. The next time I reinstalled windows (this time the I used nlite to integrate RyanVM's hotfixes and didn't change anything else), I received the access denied error on all the files that I had previously download.

It's almost as if every file is encrypted, and only runs on the particular version of windows that it was originally saved on.

I am going to do a complete wipe of the harddrive but this is going to be a pain in the arse because I have to backup 240Gb of stuff to DVD.

Oh and upon reinstalling one of the copies of XP, it decide that all the files on one of my drives (not the system drive) were corrupt and decided to delete all the indexes, and something called orphan files (whatever they are).

That reminds me of when I accidently forced Windows to install the wrong IDE driver by using Device Manager.

After I did that, after I rebooted, gotten the the following BSOD:

***STOP: 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Thus I rebooted again. Then that's when Chkdsk scrolled file system errors and decided

to say that there's "orphaned" files!

Chkdsk also deleted random files on my non-OS HDD! Thus I lost some AVI files and JPG files permanently!

D*** Nvidia! Didn't warn me that the IDE driver didn't support nForce 1!

That was when I had an Asus A7N266-VM/AA motherboard back in July, 2003. Was my first Athlon XP system I built. LOL.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

$this_var = "Cannot delete filename: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

:unsure: I am not an expert so I don't know about the rest or your post, however there is a little freeware program called Unlocker that I have found extremely useful in deleting most files I get the above message on. It can be found at:

Click here! http://www.nonags.com/nonags/fileman.html

It also gives a little info on what process is keeping the file from being deleted. Hope this helps.

I also hope I did this reply correctly. This is only my second time in this forum.

I know this might be a strange suggestion, but try reformatting as FAT32 instead of NTFS and then reinstalling. If the problem goes away it's probably something to do with NTFS file security/permissions.

I found the solution. Apparently Win 2003 SP1 uses a different version of NTFS the pre SP1 and Win XP SP2. This is for compatibility with Intel's EFI (the thing that is supposed to replace the aging BIOS). I'm not entirely sure why it happens, however and I don't know of a work around other than backing up all the files and re-partitioning the hard drive. My solution was to buy a new hard drive, install windows on that drive and copy all the files from the other drive onto it (it was 250Gb of files, so burning to DVD wasn't really an option).

This way I managed to recover all my files without any issues.

Apparently there was nothing wrong with the system partition (I never installed anything here so I didn't realise it was ok), only the old files partition. So just back up and reformat and everything is good.

Oh, so that means that this post should probably be in the Windows 2003 forum. I knew it had nothing to do with nlite.

Edited by quinriva