Intel D945GTP PRO/1000 PM RIS Drivers

Hi,

Since Intel moved to their 10.x drivers I've not had any issues with getting their hardware RIS compliant.

However, we're just in the process of migrating from Intel 915GUX PRO/100 VE based motherboards to 945GTP PRO/1000 PM motherboards as our stable platform.

The relevant HWID for the 945GTP is:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_108C&SUBSYS_30998086&REV_03\4&6C79FC5&0&00E0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection

I've not been able to get this RIS booting at all. RIS complains it does not have a driver. I've checked both the e1e5132.inf and e1000325.inf RIS-variant files but do not find a reference to the exact hardware above. There is a catch all in e1e5132.inf (I believe) for:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_108C

but this is obviously not working. I tried adding a line for the specific hardware above, but that made no difference either.

I find it extremely annoying that Intel's SIPP (stable image platform) motherboard will not RIS boot and imagine that someone has found a way around this...

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Does Intel have a set of drivers specifically for that adapter available for download? If Windows XP detects and installs the NIC with an Intel driver from a CD based install, then that should be an indication that the hwid is contained in the driver.

EDIT: I noticed that the main driver download from Intel that supports what has to be most of their NICs, does not list support for your NIC.

This download is also valid for the products listed below. Use the links below for additional product downloads: 

Intel® 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82541EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82541GI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82541PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82543GC Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82544 Gigabit Ethernet Controllers
Intel® 82544EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82544GC Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82546EB Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82547GI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 8254x Ethernet Controllers
Intel® 82550 Fast Ethernet Multifunction Controller
Intel® 82558 32-bit PCI Bus LAN Controller
Intel® 82559 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82562 Fast Ethernet Controllers
Intel® 82562ET Fast Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82562EX Fast Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82562EZ Fast Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82573E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82573V Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® PRO/100 M Desktop Adapter
Intel® PRO/100 S Desktop Adapter
Intel® PRO/100 S Dual Port Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/100 S Management Adapter
Intel® PRO/100 S Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/100 VE Desktop Adapter
Intel® PRO/100+ Adapter
Intel® PRO/100+ Management Adapter
Intel® PRO/100+ Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 MF Dual Port Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 MF Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 MF Server Adapter (LX)
Intel® PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 MT Quad Port Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 PF Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 PT Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 XF Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 XT Low Profile Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/1000 XT Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/100B Adapter
Intel® PRO/10GbE LR Server Adapter
Intel® PRO/10GbE SR Server Adapter

Edited by RogueSpear

Hi,

The driver download for the 945GTP motherboard just points to the normal 10.2 PROSet drivers. The actual conroller is listed above:

Intel® 82573E Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
Intel® 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel® 82573V Gigabit Ethernet Controller

In a windows environment the e5132.inf file is fine for doing an install, the device gets recognised correctly. So, we can assume that the generic HWID I posted above is all that is needed.

It still won't boot under RIS though...!

*scratching head*

:huh:

Cheers,

Andy

PS - Just spotted a RIS problem we're having - probably not related but I'll check first and get back to you!

Edited by Fencer128

Hi,

Fixed our RIS problem that might have been the cause of this - but RIS still refuses to acknowledge a driver exists for the NIC.

Just noticed that the Intel data sheet for the ethernet controller (82573V) lists a PCIe interface bus. All the on-board NICs we've used before were PCI 32/64. Anyone think that might make a difference?

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

I don't know if this NIC is incredibly new or what, but I went through Intel's web site pretty thoroughly and indeed there is NO specific download for the Pro/1000 PM. I highlight PM, because it's just not mentioned anywhere. Perhaps there will be a V10.3 of the drivers out soon? Maybe that will add native support for your NICs.

Hi,

The NIC appears in Device Manager as PRO/1000 PM

I have not seen it referenced anywhere else as such. It is an on-board NIC and so Intel usually refer to them by the ethernet controller part. That is, 82573V. If you look that part up you see that it is in the supported list for the PROSet 10.2 drivers (hence I guess why it works under windows).

If you look up 82573V NIC specifically it points to the PROSet drivers for download. They just don't work in RIS.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

If I had such hardware I'd mess with it myself, but you certainly know as much about RIS as I do. Just wondering though, is there some kind of MBA configuration utility? You where you hit a keyboard sequence just after the BIOS. I think it's usually CTRL-SHIFT-B or something like that. On some of my boards I've had to go in there in order to enable PXE, though I've never heard of having to do this with an Intel part.

Hi,

PXE is already enabled - I just can't get RIS to admit that it has a suitable text-mode driver.

I suspect that the old workarounds for RIS and Intel parts have either:

i) not been implemented correctly yet for this particular NIC or

ii) don't work when a PCIe bus is used (as opposed to PCI)

I guess we'll have to hold off on the platform and wait for 10.3 drivers, which will *hopefully* fix this.

Cheers ;),

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Hi,

I tried using the PXE boot disk - but still no joy. I wasn't particularly hopeful anyhow as the machine PXE boots ok, it's just the start of GUI mode setup that's the problem.

I've contacted our system vendor to get their support, as they should check these things as part of our QA procedure.

From other tests I've carried it out I'm pretty sure the problem is with either e1e5132.inf and/or e1e5132.sys.

The drivers just don't work correctly with this part in RIS.

I'll post any follow ups.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Hi,

I tried using the PXE boot disk - but still no joy. I wasn't particularly hopeful anyhow as the machine PXE boots ok, it's just the start of GUI mode setup that's the problem.

I've contacted our system vendor to get their support, as they should check these things as part of our QA procedure.

From other tests I've carried it out I'm pretty sure the problem is with either e1e5132.inf and/or e1e5132.sys.

The drivers just don't work correctly with this part in RIS.

I'll post any follow ups.

Cheers,

Andy

You may want to test this on one or two more of your machines, especially if your install is going down just prior to hard drive partitioning. I've seen this commonly on the Intel 945 boards. You can use 10.2 drivers and it should work fine. What I've noted is somewhere between 5-15% of these boards will not RIS boot, I believe it to be a fault with the onboard nic timings, I'm still fleshing it out before forwarding it to my inside rep at Intel.

However I'd guess if you just try a few more of your boards you will find it works fine with 10.2....

@BSRdr, you bring up a good point about trying more than one machine, but recalling that the NICs in question are not PCI, but rather PCIe, I have to wonder if PnP enumeration is performed the same.

Fencer had brought this up earlier and I would tend to agree that something smells fishy with the drivers. Like perhaps they don't have perfect PCIe support built in.

@BSRdr, you bring up a good point about trying more than one machine, but recalling that the NICs in question are not PCI, but rather PCIe, I have to wonder if PnP enumeration is performed the same.

Fencer had brought this up earlier and I would tend to agree that something smells fishy with the drivers. Like perhaps they don't have perfect PCIe support built in.

Sorry I guess I wasn't specific enough, I have done this load sucessfully on this board (BOXD945GTP - all 3 flavors) using 10.2 via RIS preload from a 2003 RIS server. However 5-15% of the boards that are otherwise identically configured WILL NOT load from the server.

However I have a stack of PCIe 1000 PT Nics I can do further testing with tomorrow if you would like...

Edited by BSRdr

So I'm curious, would a board that won't properly RIS boot be considered defective enough for an exchange? You mentioned the timings being bad. Technically speaking the NIC works, just not for our purposes of performing a RIS install. Also, would the timings be configurable somehow? Back in the day when the 3Com 3C905 series was the gold standard, on some models you could program some of the options in the ROM to stick.