[Help] - Windows XP File Sharing problem

Evan

Hello, I will try and be quick and to the point...

I have 2 Windows XP Pro based PCs. They are networked (usually WiFi but also tried on ethernet). PC 2 gets internet access through PC 1 and internet connection sharing. I have shared several folders in PC 1 which usually contain numerous files & subfolders. It appears to be working fine but here's the weird part, the 2nd PC does not see all the shared files! For example, I share a folder, I go to the 2nd pc, it sees *some* of the content, but not all! Without any apparent reason. No it's not hidden files. I am expecting to share a folder and all the contents inside, both subfolders and files to be available on the second machine.

I have tried refreshing, rebooting, using the home networking wizard etc. Both PCs are on the same GROUP. Both PCs have different names as they should have. Both PCs are on SP2 + latest updates. What am I missing? Oh, I tried disabling the guest account, re-enabled it, no difference.

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

The biggest challenge with home networks for XP users is usually getting to see anything in the first place ("simple file sharing" being enabled by default but people wanting to expressly share specific folders rather than a "Shared Folders" entry in their profile).

Given that you can see the shared folders and access them without an authentication prompt (or error), then I don't think your issue is with the guest account or network share permissions.

How many objects are present in any given folder?

If more than 1,000 then you can run into prolbems with partial lists due to a legacy issue with 8.3 filenames.

If you map a drive letter to a share, then open a command prompt and switch to that drive and enter "DIR", does it list all of the objects, or is this list also truncated?

Thanks for the reply. Something very weird happened. I decided to try what you suggested. I took a shared folder and mapped it as a network drive on the 2nd pc. Previously I could not see the contents of this folder (it is actually a subfolder inside of a shared folder). When I mapped it, I could see the files in it from windows explorer! I did some further experimenting.... As soon as I map any remote folder as a network drive on the 2nd PC, it seems I can then view all (or at least more of) the shared files. I do not know why, it seems very strange and looks like a bug in windows file sharing. If this does indeed prove to solve the problem (I need some more time with this) then I am a happy man. Thank you very much for your input. Hopefully someone can share a similar experience or some more insight on this.

When I mapped it, I could see the files in it from windows explorer! I did some further experimenting.... As soon as I map any remote folder as a network drive on the 2nd PC, it seems I can then view all (or at least more of) the shared files.
Did you try the command prompt approach?

The way the shell and the command prompt view resources across a network is via the same protocol but is handled in different ways - the command prompt method just gets very basic object information whereas Explorer will try to get various details on the files, icons, folder layout, etc.

It might be interesting to use Ethereal to capture the network traffic from your client when it tries to access the share via UNC, then via mapped drive, then doing DIR at a command prompt and see what the differences are...

For a folder tested:

Note how many objects are actually in it

Note how many are displayed via UNC, mapped drive and at the command prompt

Are the objects displayed always the same ones? The same number?

AV installed on both client and ICS server? Which one?

If you want download and try netop

i use it about 6 months and its very nice host-guest prog

you dont have to "share" folders with netop

you just log in to the other pc with a pass

and copy or move anything you want

and you will able to see hidden files too

and except the copy thing you can remote control the other pc with this

Invisible, thanks for the suggestion. I already use UltraVNC for remote control and file transfer. The file transfer functionality in particular is pretty crude but gets the job done. Windows folder sharing is by far the simplest and most elegant way to share files however... in theory at least.

Mr Snrub, thanks again for your input. I suspended my testing when I realized that mapping a folder (any folder) as a network drive solved the problem. I didn't have much time to do further tests.

I wish I had time to investigate this issue further and do in depth testing. I'm afraid I might even have to try with fresh windows installations on both machines if I ever hoped to reach the bottom of this. But this is out of the question at the moment since I am in the middle of a heavy work period. I am going to make sure that the "folder mapping" workaround is indeed a solid and permanent one, I am hoping it is so I can focus on other things that matter more. If not, I will report back with more tests at some point.

What baffles me is that noone else seems to know anything about this specific problem.

Thank you for your time!

PS. Both PCs use Grisoft AVG Free Antivirus